?? On quarantine

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 bun-owner

Reaction score
For quarantine (sp) could I use my cage that I have
Now with a diveder in the middle to make 2 cages, if
I put like a solid barrier for the divider so that the
Buck will be ok in case the other bun has something?

You mean, a divider between two cages? That isn't enough to quarantine them. Anytime they are close enough to share snot and inhale the same air, they are too close. :( I'm currently hoping that my two torts and my blue in the garage in quarantine are far enough away from each other...they're only 15 feet away and separated by cardboard and some plywood. :(

BTW, it's spelled "quarantine." ;)

Yeah that's what the (sp) was meaning spelling . If it's solid
Meaning no areas for them to get to each other in any
Way it should be ok right? There not going to share snot
Or air if it's solid barrier there isn't really any way they could.

If this was the case then a solid barrier for a buck
Spraying would t work either.

No, it won't work.

Rabbits only need to be quarantined if they're from different breeders or shops, if you have already had them in close contact with each other then there is not much point in quarantining them now unless one shows signs of illness - weepy eyes, sneezing, not eating, nasal discharge, etc... Then that one should be removed as soon as possible.

A good protocol for quarantine is to place the rabbits over 20 feet apart and not down wind from each other. If there're in a building they should be in a seperate room. Keep food and water away from them so no urine, feces, or other bodily fluids can accidentally contaminate their shared supplies. Wash hands after handling them, don't let them come into contact with your clothing or change if they do, and do not share anything so don't mix up drinking bottles/bowls, toys etc...

Dood":3rieq0xm said:
No, it won't work.

Rabbits only need to be quarantined if they're from different breeders or shops, if you have already had them in close contact with each other then there is not much point in quarantining them now unless one shows signs of illness - weepy eyes, sneezing, not eating, nasal discharge, etc... Then that one should be removed as soon as possible.

A good protocol for quarantine is to place the rabbits over 20 feet apart and not down wind from each other. If there're in a building they should be in a seperate room. Keep food and water away from them so no urine, feces, or other bodily fluids can accidentally contaminate their shared supplies. Wash hands after handling them, don't let them come into contact with your clothing or change if they do, and do not share anything so don't mix up drinking bottles/bowls, toys etc...

I will have to quarantine as I'm getting a doe
From a breeder. It's not a bun that I had/have
Extra. This is why I'm asking. I will seperate them
Enough apart.

The air would move all around them... circulate through one cage, swirl around outside, and enter the other cage. So they would be sharing air.

Sorry about that... it is a pain. Currently, the only true quarantine area I have is my house. Working on it. :)

I don't have any extra cages at the moment so will
Have to quarantine some how. Try and figure something
Out. Might have to use my house as well.

How long do you usually keep them in quarantine?

Well think I will quarantine her then inside since
She's bred and expecting a litter and it's getting
Cooler at nights.

I keep new rabbits in quarantine for at least 6 weeks - sometimes two months. Those pens have trays underneath so I can keep track of both intake and output. I keep them up at the house by the back door so I can keep an eye on them and they can get used to hearing my voice, activity, etc. The bunny barn is at least a couple hundred yards away. I make sure that the quarantined rabbits are fed and cared for last.

Yes, it's a big pain. Yes, it seems a little "extreme". And yes, it's worth it. It's the cheapest protection you can buy. All the trouble completely out-weighs keeping your stock safe. I maybe bring in one new rabbit a year but I still keep the quarantine area ready just in case somebody starts acting sick or I get one of those deals I just can't pass up. I think it's one of the most important disciplines a breeder can develop.

Best of luck to you!

It's a pain yes but I know it needs to be done
For safety of my buns. I only have one other
Buck right now but I'm working on developing
More. Need more cages it just divide what I have
Into four cages.

I know the importantance of quarantine and
The reasoning. Didn't say in not going to do it or
Anything just was curious if I could do
It the way I asked is all .

Latest posts

Back