OMG! It's going to SNOW!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm sitting here watching news shows this morning and all of them are reporting on how HORRIBLE this next blizzard is going to be on the East Coast. Well...yes. It's going to be nasty, and HAS been nasty down south. I feel really bad for them.

HOWEVER....

They're also reporting about people running out and clearing the store shelves. Some folks are actually panicking because they think they'll starve! OMG!! So they just buy EVERYTHING.

It's a whole other world in the city, isn't it? The city folk tend to shop for food on the day they're going to eat it. :viking: Just so foreign to me. I was raised in a house that always had a full freezer, full pantry, and enough food for a month before we even had to open the STORED stuff. Blizzard? oh..okay. get out the shovels. not a problem.

It just amazes me that people have so little stocked in the fridge/freezer/pantry. I know it's not just folks in big cities...my neighbor here in this town of 10,000 buys just for a day or two. Never stocks up on stuff that's on sale. Instead of buying 10lbs of ground beef at $1.59/lb and freezing half of it, she'll buy a couple of lbs at a time spending $2.30 a lb. Same with pantry items. so...shopping every couple of days...higher costs on small lots, and fuel for the car.

ah well. :) Just one of my "I don't understand the way some people think" moments :)

It is an absolute requirement here in Virginia. If snow is in the forecast, you MUST go to the grocery store. Whether you need anything or not. And get there early. Otherwise, there isn't a loaf of bread or gallon of milk to be had anywhere. Too funny!

Ann, there's nothing quite like it, trust me. All the weather forecasters down here have to do is mention an inch or two or snow, and you cannot find bread or milk in most of the grocery stores. With most folks around here, there's no minute quite like the LAST minute, if you know what I mean, and you've never seen a fit like the ones they throw when they cannot find what they "need" at the last minute.

If our country ever has to start rationing food a la WWI and WWII, most of the folks in this country will go into a fullscale revolt.

LOL! My son works in a grocery store. We do get our share of winter storms here (not so far this year, unfortunately). You know what they sell out of FIRST when a bad snowstorm is coming? ICE!!!

I - DO - NOT - GET - THAT!!!!!!!! :shock:

I have heard those snow storm shoppers called "the french toast people" because they rush out and buy milk, bread and eggs. If it were me, I'd make sure to get the big fat raisin bread to make it with!

Wow, sorry look where I live, it hasn't melted since Halloween
it's amusing to watch the news and 'horrible' weather stories...

Oh, I do have to laugh, one year (2005?) everybody was running a story about a deadly cold snap in Moscow Russia, and...
enough people in Fairbanks complained that they started running the temp in Fairbanks right after the moscow story, Fairbanks was having a high of -65*, the 'cold snap' was only -10 to -20* in moscow...

The biggest problem people in areas have to worry about in abnormally cold weather is not the weather. It's each other. Even though I am not quite skilled at driving in all kinds of bizarre winter weather conditions, the 3" my family in Memphis recently got would have kept me off the roads too. The infrastructure isn't there to sand or gravel the roads, drivers don't know how to deal with, it's a frikkin' ice rink out there, demolition derby.

I don't stock up much on food these days. I live a few blocks from the grocery store and don't have much storage room. I know I SHOULD stock pile, especially in Alaska. Any interruption of shipping lanes would leave us up a creek without a paddle.

Eh, at least I got rabbits and rice. :)

Hmmm, well, we make our own bread, so have lots of flour. I don't ever buy milk as I have goats, and I usually have eggs, although the hens are not laying at the moment. Lots of rabbits, in the barn and a few in the freezer. We won't starve.

If I know there's bad weather coming, I'll make sure I have some round bales of hay in for the horses, and pick up feed if I'm low. Other than that, we're good! :D

My drive to work is about 1.5-2 miles, at 4:30 am, so no traffic to worry about.

umm, Rachel, rabbit soup, toss the fresh vegies out of the fridge,

But then we have the opposite problem most people do, power goes out, and we have to figure out how to not freeze

Hey now,
I don't worry about freezing even if the power goes out.
Wood Stove, I have enough wood on the porch for more than a few days.
Last snow storm we were out of power for four days.
We survived! We are expecting 12 inches or more,
I don't like to drive in snow when it's still coming down
and you don't know when it will STOP.
I purchased rabbit feed yesterday so they are well taken care of.
I may have to shovel to the rabbit barn and Chicken coop
but we have noplace we have to be so we can take care of
the driveway wnen we feel like it. I don't like SNOW,
but it's part of living in upstate N.Y.
I like the Summers here though!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

People are like that for any major weather event. Take people who live in hurricane zones-- good lord, folks, you knew about this a week ago!!! Snow? at least it won't wash your house away...Snow is a good excuse to cozy up and drink lots of hot chocolate

Im in the south (Georgia)and its been ugly here. Snow came in on Sunday night through Monday morning. Started as a few snowflakes and withing minutes blew up into a blizzard. It was completely wild. Just dealing with the aftermath now. The south is never prepared for these things so it just makes everything worse.

DOGGONE IT!!!! All this talk of snow in places that don't usually get snow is makin' me jealous, and MAD! YOU STOLE OUR SNOW, NOW GIVE IT BACK!!!! :evil: We barely got dusted yesterday, and we're the ones who need the moisture!

You want our snow? You can have it! Im sick of it already. Its all "ooh's & aah's" that first day, then after that everyone is cursing under their breath and wanting it gone. LOL!

Eh pickles, how bout not thawing till may???
come visit, and bring your skis

We live in an area that's called the Snow Belt we get major lake effect snow in the winter (We're surrounded by Ski hills). If it goes a week without snowing we get separation anxiety.

Personally, I would prefer rain (and NOT the freezing variety), but if it's going to be this dad-gum cold (2 degrees last night in TEXAS!!!), then bless God, we'd better at least get some measurable snow to make up for it!!

Back