OMG I have thrown away so much purslane!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaratogaNZW

Reaction score
So, I have had a weed epidemic in my garden since my second planting this year. about June a weed started coming up and its very prolific. Grows very fast, doesn't die when it is pulled up, just keep coming!
I couldn't find it anywhere on Utah endemic weeds or native plants, so I didn't dare give it to the bunnies.
I could tell it was a greasy, oily plant and was very cautious about it.
Mom and dad came out and helped in the garden a little a few weeks ago, helped me pull about (seriously!) a half a bale of it, and throw it up against the fence to compost. They then went and found it online this week, and it is purslane!

http://www.plant.photos.net/index.php?title=Purslane

I could have been feeding it all along, and I guess from what others are saying, it is worth its weight in gold for a meat rabbit producer, because of teh omega-3 fatty acid content.

Live and learn, and next year I guess I will feed most of it, instead of trying to kill it off!

Purslane is an excellent plant for man and beast alike. :) It's good in salads, stir fries, stews etc. so if you have lots, consider giving it a try as a vegetable. Excellent for rabbits and chickens. My rabbits don't put it at the top of the list of their favourites, but then they get such an assortment in summer that they are very spoiled. They do eat it though... just not first.

ohyes-- I leaned over one day, and pulled a buch of it out of the sidewalk on the way home form an appointment one day-- hey-- free, healthy food.. Of ourse, when cops see you putting 'weeds' into your shoulder bag--.....

I think the local cops are used to seeing me do that. I hit my local patch of wild french dandelion at least once a week and spend a lot of the rest of my time in the river bottoms gathering this and that.
My rabbits don't care for purslane. They just turn up their noses at it. I wish they would eat it. My garden is always full of it.

Back