old dog, same tricks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotejoe

Reaction score
My pal Strider is a Shorthair/Brittany mix who seems to have more of the Brittany attitude. He's going on 10 years old and still plays in the snow like a puppy but he suffers for it afterward. He gets very stiff and sore and has trouble making it up the stairs at night. He always seems OK the next morning, maybe a little extra time stretching and getting started but not too bad. The evening after a romp is painful to watch.

Attachments

• strider 01-05-15.jpg
    strider 01-05-15.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 761
My dog is getting up in years too...he still loves to chase the chickens and tree the neighbors cats...Last week after treeing one he could hardly get his hind end up off the floor. Baby aspirin or low dose chewable aspirin works well for pain. Just make sure it's aspirin not Tylenol...and a nice massage and a soft place to lay :p no my dog is not spoiled at all... :mrgreen:

nah, what'chu talkin' 'bout, that's a puppy! lol He sure is a handsome fellow. :D

My dad lost his old girl (13? 14?) over the summer. Highlight of her day was hobbling after the deer fast as she could, but then she'd give anyone who passed her on the bottom of the porch steps a sad look 'till she was helped up.

Oh, greyface. :love:
Old dogs are the BEST.

My old boy is probably around 14.

We stopped taking him on walks because he never did learn how to properly walk on a leash. Or I should say, his previous owners accidentally "taught" him that pulling was his mission in life, and I never was able to change that programming in his head. :roll:

He suffers too much after a "walk" to make it worth it these days, poor guy.
But, I still feel terrible when I leave him behind.

I don't dare take him anywhere off leash, because he's lost most or all of his hearing. :(
Now that we finally realize he can't hear us...hindsight tells me that he started showing signs of it 3 years ago, and it took us this long to catch on. :shock:

For the last few years he must have been watching our younger dog's behavior and our body language to bark when someone knocks on the door, know when we're calling to put him out for potty, and when it's time to eat.

My Cocker will be 11 years old in fifteen minutes (he was whelped Jan 19). I've had to cut in half the distance we walk as of last year, and he's almost completely deaf and half blind. But, he "feels" pretty good most of the time and enjoys his time with the rabbits and my family's other small dogs when we go and visit them.

Old dogs are old friends!

Here is my Sccoter. He's a 13 year old JRT...and a very crotchedy senior.

image.php

He has been slowing down a lot lately, and I fear he won't be with us much longer. I still remember the day I found him. I went to this house in response to an ad for Chihuahua puppies, and he was on the front porch. The owner literally kicked him out of the way of the door, and that was it. I talked him into selling me the little guy, and never saw the Chihuahua pups.

Funny license plates are my thing. I love them and that one is pure win.

Zass your old guy looks like a sweetheart.

Back