Oil resistant ear mites!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
I've been treating my Flemish Giant for ear mites since I got him in late November. I've been using vegetable oil, but it just isn't working! Is there any thing else I can do? I feel so sorry for him. It looks miserable. :(

What kind of oil? I wold try coconut oil or olive oil. If that doesn't help, try some ivermectin paste (from the feed store), just a pea-sized amount.

I've been using just regular vegetable oil. I think I may have some olive oil. I'll look for ivermectin paste next time I'm at the feed mill. I really want to get these dumb things cleared up ASAP! Thanks!

Is there a thread that has pictures of ear mites? I don't believe my buns have them but I'd like to know what to look for...

Maxine, you can't actually see the mites, but the ears have red patches and lots of crusty gunk in them. If you don't see anything in your rabbits' ears, then you can pretty much be assured that they don't have ear mites.

Ear mites and other bugs cannot become "resistant" to oil- the oil coats their bodies and prevents them from breathing.

If he is still having a problem after treatment the problem is likely fungal or bacterial in nature.

So if it is bacterial or fungal, what do I use? Spray his ears with blu-kote? LOL

Do you have access to a microscope? Mites are easy to see.

Or perhaps your local highschool will let you look under theirs. Use a q-tip to scrape out some gunk, they are most likey close to the skin and deeper in the ear, stick the q-tip in a pill bottle or jar, cut to size, and bring it in.

Well, I have some blu-kote, so I guess I'll give that a try. I've been assuming it was mites since I know Flemish are prone to them, and it really looks like pics I've seen. I'm sure the blu-kote won't hurt either way. Thanks!

I have had some very persistent cases of ear mites this year...they kept coming back again and again after treatment with corn oil, mineral oil, coconut oil, you name it. Only Ivermectin got rid of them....:)

OneAcreFarm":2keozd2t said:
I have had some very persistent cases of ear mites this year...they kept coming back again and again after treatment with corn oil, mineral oil, coconut oil, you name it. Only Ivermectin got rid of them....:)

This is why I always clean ears thoroughly when treating for mites. You want the oil to coat all surfaces of the ear canal. The waxy buildup blocks the free flow of oil.

*I have never had ear mites in my rabbits, but have treated many cats for it.

Interesting, OAF, I may go ahead and get some ivermectin too. MSD, I haven't been actually cleaning his ears... he doesn't like them touched when they're inflamed. Can't say that I blame him. I've just Been putting the oil in with a dropper. I'll try to clean them out today, but they look like they'll bleed if I mess with them too much. :(

MamaSheepdog":3o3htmmj said:
OneAcreFarm":3o3htmmj said:

This is why I always clean ears thoroughly when treating for mites. You want the oil to coat all surfaces of the ear canal. The waxy buildup blocks the free flow of oil.

*I have never had ear mites in my rabbits, but have treated many cats for it.

Rabbit ear mites don't have a waxy build up. It is pure scabs and it will bleed like a stuck pig if you pull them off/out. For really bad infestations, Ivermectin is the way to go.<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am __________<br /><br />
MamaMandy":3o3htmmj said:
Well, I have some blu-kote, so I guess I'll give that a try. I've been assuming it was mites since I know Flemish are prone to them, and it really looks like pics I've seen. I'm sure the blu-kote won't hurt either way. Thanks!

I would not put BluKote in his ears....it will hurt like the dickens! Get some Ivomec injectable and give .01cc per lb. You drop it on the back of their neck like flea drops. It will clear it up in just a few days. Repeat in week.

I found the THIN mineral oil works best--and since it is a lubricant, it does penetrate the crust and wax much more readily than vegetable oils do.
Also, tamed iodine, sprayed into the ear, will help clear up any bacterial infections. A mixture of terramycin powder and rubbing alcohol helps treat fungal/thrush issues(the mix should turn kinda purple!)

You can mix iodine WITH mineral oil and treat for two things at the same time----

Fill the ear canal completely with warm hydrogen peroxide and pinch the base of the ear shut. Agitate the ear gently- you will hear a sloshing sound. When you release the ear, he will shake his head vigorously, flinging peroxide and wax everywhere. If you decide to use swabs to try to remove more debris, make sure to wet the tip with peroxide- dry cotton can abrade the skin.

If your cages are located near any wood I would suggest dusting the surfaces down with food grade Diatomaceous Earth.

OneAcreFarm":99ptgf7r said:
Rabbit ear mites don't have a waxy build up.

Really? :? Learn something new every day! :p

Well, I stand corrected- when he shakes his head he will fling peroxide and scabs everywhere! :roll: I wouldn't recommend swabbing the ears if they are scabbed over.

MamaSheepdog":24nkzewu said:
Fill the ear canal completely with warm hydrogen peroxide and pinch the base of the ear shut. Agitate the ear gently- you will hear a sloshing sound. When you release the ear, he will shake his head vigorously, flinging peroxide and wax everywhere. If you decide to use swabs to try to remove more debris, make sure to wet the tip with peroxide- dry cotton can abrade the skin.

If your cages are located near any wood I would suggest dusting the surfaces down with food grade Diatomaceous Earth.

OneAcreFarm":24nkzewu said:
Rabbit ear mites don't have a waxy build up.

Really? :? Learn something new every day! :p

Well, I stand corrected- when he shakes his head he will fling peroxide and scabs everywhere! :roll: I wouldn't recommend swabbing the ears if they are scabbed over.

This is what bad ear mites look like in rabbits...

ear mites.jpg

Back