Oh my--no wonder she was so large....!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
Cali, our California doe had 15 this morning! The largest was still born, but the rest are squiggling away. She is eating a ton and didn't eat all the placentas (full?) Should I foster a couple? Our pure champagne threw 10 two days ago. would 12 each be better?

Congrats! I once had a Flemish Giant that would have 16 each litter and wind up raising 13-15 of them each time.

I am a little uneasy with litters beyond 10. It puts a real stress on momma to milk that many. I am more than pleased to get a litter of 8-10 and see them all wean off. That is still a lot of bunnies at 6 litters a year!

how are they all doing today? When do we get pictures?! :D<br /><br />__________ Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:54 am __________<br /><br />how are they all doing today? When do we get pictures?! :D

^^^ I'm with Shara! :)<br /><br />__________ Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 am __________<br /><br />I understand, CH... that is a lot of little mouths to feed!

well, she has lost a few; not surprising as 8 nipples are hard to spread around. I am happier with litters of 8-10, momma has a better chance to fuel all their furnaces. Pics soon!

WOW! That's a lot of babies! I thought when my NZ/Cal had 12 it was a large litter! Hang in there. I was very apprenhesive but my doe did manage to raise all 12 - they are about a week away from their butcher date and I can no longer tell which one's were the runts of the litter. I have to say this large litter are about the friendlist ones I've every had. I think it's all the competition for food when I feed them! Even if you lose a few you will still have a nice large litter - congrats!

She is holding at 11 I believe. Two lost today--starved out at botton of nest. She is milking well and has been a super doe---I am optomistic she will wean 10---a good number.

Just curious, I understand you have lots of rabbits, is there a reason you didn't try to foster any of them? Seems like if they were going to be lost anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try--but I have never done it, so I don't know. I never had more than two does at a time, and never had a chance I guess. Hope to try in the future if I find I have one superior mother or something.

Latest posts

Back