% of rabbit breeding mixs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
I kept a 1/2 New Zealand, 1/4 French lop and 1/4 lionhead. She is my favorite doe. She is about 5 months. I bred her to a New Zealand white. I don't know how to figure percentages if I keep breeding her off spring to New Zealand Whites. How does that work. Also what color is she? She has a great personality. I named her Mhera. She has the softest fur of all my rabbits.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1380988157000.jpg

It's a steel of some sort for sure.
How did the tiny Lionhead get in the mix?? JW

This is her mother a New Zealand white named killer.KINDLE_CAMERA_1380988905000.jpg
This is her father a French lop/ Lionhead cross named Jasper. KINDLE_CAMERA_1380991395000.jpg

Here is a different angle of Mhera. KINDLE_CAMERA_1380988169000.jpg

Percentages are not all that hard.

If she is half NZ, one quarter FL and one quarter LH, she would be 50%, 25% and 25% respectively.

If bred back to a pure NZ buck, the kits would automatically be 50% NZ from the paternal line, and then you would halve what the mother is (must add up to 50% again...) so their maternal line would be 25% NZ, 12.5% FL, and 12.5% LH. Totaled, the kits directly from her and a NZ buck would be 75% NZ, 12.5% FL, and 12.5% LH. It gets more complicated when you get into further generations, but the number is almost always halved. Just don't forget that all numbers always have to add up to 100! :)

I've been having sleep problems and was having trouble figuring percentages today. Thanks for your help in something so simple which eluded me. I figure to keep one of her daughter's later and continue breeding to NZ in hopes they will keep from her father's side fast growth rate in kits. Every doe I've bred Jasper to has increased growth rate in their kits. I also have access to her brother I gave away if I want to use him at some time. I bred Mhera to my new Zealand Black buck Mathias. Looking forward to see what they produce together.

Don't feel like a goober cause you were having an off day figuring percentages :) , my mom is German so I am more comfortable with percentages. Not sure why 'we' Americans feel like fractions are better, that's where I get all mixed up. You should have seen me in algebra, when it came to working all those fractions. Ugh, there's a reason I was hesitant about choosing a biology degree, too much math!

PSFAngoras":306144dc said:
there's a reason I was hesitant about choosing a biology degree, too much math!

I totally loved biology and chemistry...except for the math! I kept a cheat sheet of formulas to use in the chem lab...but, pairing up with some mathhead who didn't like doing the hands on stuff was the best option...win-win for both of us...

I actually like converting fractions and percentages but lately can barely add 2x2. Sleep problems do that to you. I've never been good at math but conversion of fractions and percents have always been fun.

Back