Odd shaped stool

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyM003

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 6 month old dwarf papillon named Boba. Since ive gotten her she’s had some odd shaped stool. I feed her mostly orchard hay and 1/2 cup of oxbows young rabbit garden select pellets a day. Sometimes I give her a little oatmeal/greens/ or fruit as a treat 2-4 times a week. Her stool has been oval and large, other times is more soft and much smaller and I’m concerned it’s her diet or a larger issue.

Attachments

• F06BCD6F-F376-43D2-A13D-F84D8FDEEE5E.jpeg
    F06BCD6F-F376-43D2-A13D-F84D8FDEEE5E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
This doesnt look to abnormal to me, it does look a little large for a rabbit of that breeds size though. Over all I wouldn't be concerned about it. However, I would transition him to an adult food/diet and see if that helps. 4 months is about the time I start transitioning to an adult diet (for me that is just rationing instead of free feeding.) If you want to continue with a pellet and hay only diet, I suggest transitioning to a different brand of pellets. Oxbow is not a complete pellet/diet, meaning that it is meant to be fed with full salads and free choice hay.

What to Look for

* Fiber: The higher the fiber content (look for a minimum of 18-20%) generally the better the food will be for your rabbit’s digestion.

* Protein: A healthy adult rabbit needs a protein level of 14-16% Young rabbits (under 6 months) need a higher protein level of 16-18% to support their rapid growth.

* Calcium & Phosphorus: Calcium should be 0.5 - 1.0% and phosphorus 0.4-0.8%. Equally important is the ratio between the two (which should be 1.5-2:1 calcium to phosphorus).

* Fat: 2.4-5%

* Vitamins: Vitamin D 1000 IU/kg, Vitamin E 50 IU/kg, Vitamin A 10,000 IU/kg

* Ingredients: The ingredients list will be in the order of the proportion included with the ingredient the food contains most of listed first. Look for brands that list grass (e.g. timothy, alfalfa, fescue, hay or ‘forage’) ahead of grains/cereals (e.g. wheat, oats, corn, or maize). As grass is higher in fiber and lower in protein than cereals, foods that are grass-based generally also have a more suitable nutritional balance.

How to Feed

If you are feeding a pellet and hay based/only diet the feed one ounce (volume) of pellets per pound of body weight.
If you are feeding a hay and greens based diet, first make sure you research proper daily salad requirements, and feed about one tea spoon of pellets per pound of body weight.

Back