Oats, Wheat or Barley?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
This year I plan to pasture my weaned rabbits and in addition to the green stuff I am planning to offer a grain. Here in Alberta I can buy oats, wheat and barley. Is there a preferred grain for rabbits or a combination that would be best for them?

Also, I can get mixed screenings that may contain peas, lentils, flax, and/or canola. Are any of these grains dangerous for rabbits?

Thanks to a Rabbits large liver they are surprisingly tolerant of plant poisons compared to other small mammals :)

But you should always gradually get them used to new foods

My rabbits prefer oats, then barley and lastly wheat. Nutrition wise oats are more digestable but wheat has the higher protein (15%).

Raw bean seeds are severely to mildly toxic and need to be soaked or cooked to neutralize the poison
Many kinds of raw or dried beans and lentils contain a harmful toxin called lectins (Phytohaemagglutinin) that may cause an upset stomach. The highest concentrations are in red and white kidney beans and soybeans. Lectins are destroyed by soaking the beans for at least five hours and then boiling them briskly in fresh water for at least 10 minutes. Do not cook beans at a low temperature, as it may not destroy the toxin. Improperly cooked beans can be more toxic than raw ones. Canned beans can be used without further cooking.

Great information Dood, thanks for the reply. I will be sure to introduce both the greens and the grain slowly, also to always provide a few pellets when they are on pasture as well.

Now for the legumes...how about sprouted beans peas and lentils?

That info is interesting, and probably the basis of my own allergy to raw legumes and my tolerance to cooked ones.

Wheat is the healthiest but rabbits prefer oats. Probably because oats are much higher in things like fat and survival in the wild tells animals to eat the richest foods possible to stay in good condition. Our caged rabbits with controlled breeding do not need as much fat and calories. If you feed oats you need to combine it with barley, I'd do 50/50, or only a very small amount of oats with wheat.

My rabbits have always preferred wheat and barley over oats. All three are good grains for rabbits. Barley is not as digestible for poultry and since I like to feed my critters from the same bag where appropriate, I usually buy wheat.

Well, I guess I will buy it all and give them a choice. I already have wheat for the chickens and barley for the sheep. I can get my grains very cheaply at the seed cleaning plant.

I may just sprout some as well and give the buns some extra greenery.

i was trying a grain mix for a while and my rabbits all turned their noses up to the whole oats. many would just eat everything else and then unhappily nibble the oats until next feeding. a few would eat around them and then dig out the oats so they had an empty bowl. it ended up growing around the hutches and i just cut it and fed the greens to them. the oats i was getting though didnt sprout for crap but what grew did good for cut and come again.

mine prefered wheat and the rolled barley i got was so-so. sprouted wheat was a big hit with a few. one lionhead buck i had that ended up being sickly and dying got some soaked oats and then would only eat that. poor thing went downhill fast so i gave him a couple huge last meals since the rest of the buns snubbed the oats before i put him down.

Latest posts

Back