Nz's vs champagne d'argent vs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azbowhunter

Reaction score
Gang,
I read about meat breeds, and think we've narrowed down put breed choices to New Zealands or Champagne d'Argent, for a couple reasons.
First priority is meat quality and volume.
Second priority is fur quality and appearance.
We are quite talented in the homesteading game, getting better with each passing week. We've begun canning this year, and success has seemed to come quite easy so far.
But, back to my question...
For a sound and successful meat breeding program, with a side element of fur trading, and hand crafted items (jackets, quilts, gloves, etc), which breed would offer the best overall benefits on both sides of the equation?
I just learned of the silver fox breed too, so I think that's on the table now as well.
Thoughts?
Experiences?
Thanks!

I have a NZ buck and had a few others (since been slaughtered) and they are very nice...but I prefer my Champagnes. I had a herd of "meat mutts" and was sick and tired of their rangey bodies and bad temperaments. I currently lack a Champagne buck (am searching for one though!) but in the meantime, I'm going to be breeding my Champagne does to my NZ buck for some good meat mutts. :)

I love the Champagne's fur, and they are SO nice and docile. When I brought my does home, they settled immediately and have never skipped a feed, they seem happy all the time, really easy to handle compared to the mutts I had. The NZ buck is nice, too, and his siblings had a nice dress-out. But I don't think he's any nicer physically than my Champagnes.

I'm biased though, Champagnes are SO beautiful to me, I love their adult coats and I love how their kits are born black and change colors as they grow. :D To me, plain ol' NZ's aren't as exciting. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Good choices thats why i breed both! Cinnamon is a good breed so are beverns for my personal meat i cross champagne with nz they grow faster

I have this vision of a rabbit fur quilt on the bed....rustic lodgepole style bed, toasted honey finish, with a greyish quilt....hmmm.....glad I know how to make furniture too!

Champagne's don't tend to do as well in high temps...so that may be a consideration if you are not going to have them in an area that is air conditioned. You should talk to AZRabbits...he is in AZ as well and he raises NZW from the Rabbit Research Program at Texas A&M.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2otq3w6c said:
love the Champagne's fur, and they are SO nice and docile. When I brought my does home, they settled immediately and have never skipped a feed, they seem happy all the time, really easy to handle compared to the mutts I had. The NZ buck is nice, too, and his siblings had a nice dress-out. But I don't think he's any nicer physically than my Champagnes.
You do not have an older brother that might be interested in an opinionated female (my kids are grown and have moved out). An brother that has the same inclinations as you, do you? I have an bow, rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs, quail, a sewing machine and I am a fair to middlin cook - I am looking for some muscles! Oh yes, would be nice if they were in Texas. :) :) :)
Glad you found us!

I'm raising champagnes in Texas heat and after a summer and half, so far so good.

Bowbuild, I also work at the largest manufacturer of nocks and vanes in the world.
I run the assembly department, and do a lot of r&d for new products.
A new rest I helped develop makes it's debut in about a week.
It's nifty- a limb driver on a budget!
All the accuracy of our high end rests, but none of the hotrod whizz bang things like micro adjust.
PM me if you'd like more details...
Legacy, I think we need to talk. Wherever you are in TX is likely hotter than where I am, and I don't have that humidity to fight. If you've got a starter set of two females and a male, possibly two males of separate lines, we might make a deal if that's an option.
Gotta have some genetic diversity!

Although I use a compound, I am a primitive archer, build my own bows, arrows, flintknap ect...I bought a new bow a few yrs back, and still return to my old PSE vintage (92) for hunting. I sell primitive supplies.... vinemaplebows.com Good luck on your venture hope you make a bundle! Oh, one more thing.. my brother runs northwesthyroprint.com he dips camo on all sorts of products...you may have heard of his business?? if not check it out.

Bowbuild

Piper":1rkn9fyy said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":1rkn9fyy said:
love the Champagne's fur, and they are SO nice and docile. When I brought my does home, they settled immediately and have never skipped a feed, they seem happy all the time, really easy to handle compared to the mutts I had. The NZ buck is nice, too, and his siblings had a nice dress-out. But I don't think he's any nicer physically than my Champagnes.
You do not have an older brother that might be interested in an opinionated female (my kids are grown and have moved out). An brother that has the same inclinations as you, do you? I have an bow, rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs, quail, a sewing machine and I am a fair to middlin cook - I am looking for some muscles! Oh yes, would be nice if they were in Texas. :) :) :)
Glad you found us!
Just checked on this thread and went um. Though I am glad Kyle is with us, he already knows he is a part of the RT. I meant this as a reply to
azbowhunter":1rkn9fyy said:
I have this vision of a rabbit fur quilt on the bed....rustic lodgepole style bed, toasted honey finish, with a greyish quilt....hmmm.....glad I know how to make furniture too!
That visual image! :beer2: to azbowhunter.

I'm a bow shooter (love shooting, love hunting, hate killing the animal...) and my dad is a bow hunter. We have long bows and recurves, and cross bows. We both prefer the traditional bows.
Anyway, about the rabbits... I'm in the same situtation- trying to decide what breed I like more NZR or Champange D'Argent or Silver Fox... I think I'm more inclined toward the Champange D'argents and the Silver Foxes, because of their fur.

I wish i could get into bow hunting or even just some plain ole archery. Too many hobbies already, not enough funds.

I am seriously considering getting some champagnes for meat, I need more meat does now.

Piper":2avmmg4z said:
Kyle@theHeathertoft":2avmmg4z said:
Glad you found us!

No, but I do have a younger brother that has the John Wayne complex.
he's rough, tough, and doesn't take any grief from anyone.
I suppose when you're a cop that deals with jamokes all night long, tweaked out on who knows what, and you bench over 400#, not much fazes you.

Actually, it's possible to get into Archery for less than $300.
A samick sage bow, a dozen aluminum arrows, a finger tab, and a couple hay bales, and you're of to the races.
Granted, it's shooting caveman style, but it works.
I have well over 3500 invested into my bows (I have 6), with my competition bows being the most pricey. My 3d bow alone, bare, cost me $950.
Add on sights, rest, stabilizers, and a couple other gizmos, and it's easy over $1500.
The example being, it can be done on the cheap, and it's also possible to drop a bucket load of cash into it too.
Thankfully, the company I work for sponsors most of what I need to compete.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm __________<br /><br />Time to get back on track here I think...lol
Piper, how goes your champagne breeding program?
How many different lines do you have?
Think you might have a pair of does you might be able to part with in the somewhat near future?

Azbowhunter, if this is your first foray into the world of rabbit raising, why not start off with some stock from nearby? That way, you get used to how to do things with rabbits that are already used to your area, with out a large outlay of cash for rabbits and transportation. Then, add in some of the more pricey or hard to find rabbits once you are off and running. Not that I am trying to discourage you, because I am not. If you really want Champs or Silver Fox then by all means, get them, but they will likely be harder to find and more expensive. In the meantime, you could be working with some local, less expensive meat breeds and getting some experience that will benefit you greatly. Rabbits aren't especially difficult, but there is a learning curve and quite a few of the lessons are learned the hard way.

I see listings for nzw often in the local cl, but my hesitating is simply over my own lack of knowledge...I could be buying a bucket of problems.
Many unscrupulous folks on hard times here, and I respect making a fair buck, but all too often I hear about someone pawning of their problems onto someone else, especially where livestock are concerned.
So, I take my theory that the folks on this forum, being of similar cloth, would prefer to help others succeed.
Yes, it makes the startup costs a little more, but I like to think that the initial investment will be more than paid for in strong, healthy starter stock.
Just a theory, of course, but the general character of the folks on this forum seem to be quite sound and mutually beneficial, with most looking out for each other.

I have a champagne doe, who is a witch, but an awesome mother. I have silver fox, and they are awesome moms, as well as mellow tempered. And they have such smooshy cute faces! I have them in both blacks and blues. And they are great meat rabbits. I really like both coats, but especially the silver fox.

azbowhunter":3h1r9olv said:
I see listings for nzw often in the local cl, but my hesitating is simply over my own lack of knowledge...I could be buying a bucket of problems.
Many unscrupulous folks on hard times here, and I respect making a fair buck, but all too often I hear about someone pawning of their problems onto someone else, especially where livestock are concerned.
So, I take my theory that the folks on this forum, being of similar cloth, would prefer to help others succeed.
Yes, it makes the startup costs a little more, but I like to think that the initial investment will be more than paid for in strong, healthy starter stock.
Just a theory, of course, but the general character of the folks on this forum seem to be quite sound and mutually beneficial, with most looking out for each other.

True, and maybe we can help you to locate some that are more local to you. I just hate to see you start off with a large expense right from the get-go and then have issues. Do you know any breeders in your area? I know of two that you could talk to and would be willing to help you out. Strong, healthy starter stock does not have to be expensive. In fact, the more common meat breeds like Cals and NZW are usually very reasonably priced. Hopefully you can work something out with Legacy and get what you are looking for soon. I would suggest that you start with younger stock, like 10-12 wks old instead of breeding age. It helps you get used to caring for the rabbits before you have to throw kits into the mix. Also, the rabbits get to know you better and are less likely to scratch you up that way. Let me know if you would like the information for those two breeders in AZ.

Plus starting with younger critters lets them acclimate to their new home before the pressures of breeding are put on 'em. :) Or at least that's my belief, YMMV of course. :)

Latest posts

Back