NZR SOP, DQ=bars on feet??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got my 2011 SOP, and I am reading through the section on New Zealand Reds, and it says that "white shadow bars on the front or hind feet" are a disqualification.

What are they describing? It says white foot pads are permitted, but what are 'shadow bars'? I know NZR babies have stripes up on their flanks and shoulders of lighter red sometimes, but they aren't white...and they aren't on the feet. So that isn't it....is it?

I know this is a picture of an Otter Mini Rex
ally.jpg

But do you see the tan on her toes? That's bars on the feet. It's essentially the belly colour extending to the feet.

Non Extension Agouti Reds (the ones with creme coloured bellies) often can have barring on the feet that is white. You essentially want a solid coloured foot.

Is there anything BUT non-extension agouti reds? I mean, there IS no self red, but we are suposedly trying to make them appear to be red selfs--a color that does not genetically exsist, right? So all reds have the potential for those bars?

A solid (but still technically agouti) red rabbit like a Thrianta is less likely to have barring compared to a Red like Mini Rex would (as they've got the creme bellies and lacings).

Thriantas are a wide-band red as opposed to just non extension. So yes there are 2 different kinds of red! I am not sure what direction the NZR sop is going but I don't think a wideband would be accepted on the table even though the goal is to have a self appearing red!! Talk to other NZR breeders to see whats kosher with that!

What's the differnce between wide band and plain old non extenstion? I would LOVE me some NZR colored like Thriantas!

Wide band will look like it's a solid red. Non Extension will have a creme- white coloured belly.

So, genetically, (since I know you probably know this :D) what is the difference between wide-band and non-extension? AABBCCDDee vs. ?

The new SOP does seem to want as little color variation between belly and back, and I have just never seen that in any local NZR--ever. The best I have seen simply have a thinner band of cream on their belly, with the color carrying further down the sides....

Latest posts

Back