NZR buck *critique, please!*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
This is Cedar. I am thinking about taking him to a show this year, but want to know what you guys think of him, first. The second picture shows his true color. Not sure what is up with the first...

Lunasfirstlitter059.jpg

Lunasfirstlitter060.jpg

the NZR that I had at one point was quite a dark red rabbit...this fellow seems a bit washed out in colour? Is it just the camera?

How old is he? He still has his baby stripes over the flank, he will probably darken more after the next molt.

His ears are nice and short, which seems to be what show people like, and he looks to have nice blocky shoulders, but his top line looks flat--I may have been looking at too many MR lately, or he may not be posed perfectly--Trust me, I wouldn't know, you know I don't show--yet!

I'd say go for it--it would be fun anyway.

We like how wide he is but the topline is not big enough in the hindquarters.

Put him on the show table so you can learn what the judges are looking for.

Have a good day!

I agree with Rabbitgeek,

The best way to learn about what to look for is to stick them up on the table and see that the judges think. That way you can say I need to work on this etc.

I like how wide he looks in his loin area, its nice to run your hand down the rabbit and feel MEAT!

I agree, he does look like he sort of falls off on the hindquarters, but I do like his color in the top photo.

LOL! thank you. :doh: i knew that. I like his shoulders, though...basically, I love how he is wide all he way down...

And I will further edumacate myself of a rabbits anatomy!

lol, xlt!

he is the herd sire of my own meat mutt line. :) i won't be developing any new breeds or anything...but i DO want to say, yup, these guys are MINE!

I have had some trouble finding a NZR buck here... brought a doe up from San Antonio. Lucked out, as you have read probably, in that my "black" buck throws red kits with the red doe...so I guess it's a start.

I'ma feel funny critiquing him...lol

I love his shoulders, but think he could use more height. He almost looks like he's hunching down as far as he can in the bottom pic though. I miss his brother...

I sure hope to see you at the tables this year! I'll be taking Chip and Madrone and anything else I want a detailed critique on. I think he'd give them a good run for their money! :)

Shara":2ngaqmx9 said:
he is the herd sire of my own meat mutt line. :) i won't be developing any new breeds or anything...but i DO want to say, yup, these guys are MINE!

Yes, he could be the foundation of a line of red meat mutts with meaty loins and hindquarters. Breed his daughter back to him and you should get some red kits in the litters. Keep some of those kits to breed back the does.

Line breeding will help you strengthen the red (rufous) genes in the bloodline.

Have a good day!

Wow, he looks like a Thrianta. :lol: :p :lol:

No seriously, it's a shame that NZ reds aren't any more popular than they are, and that is a nice buck.

Back