NZ temperament?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like I'm goin over to the dark side here. I've always been an advocate for preserving heritage breeds, but right working on my angoras right now I don't have room for a trio as much as I'd like to have some chinchillas or champagnes.

I only have one hole open for a meat doe, and the current one is a SF mix that only decides to take every third or fourth breeding, and has small litters.

So, I'm driving an hour and a half one way to pick up a NZR doe kit today. (Could get whites closer, but I don't want white hides.) I'm not fond of the commercial breeds just because they don't need help staying around, but I think she'll be able to keep up with us on production when she's old enough to replace the doe I have now.

So, for those of you with NZ's out there, what is their temperament like? I'm use to my raggedy ann and Andy French angoras that just lay in your arms and beg for pets at the door, and I'd love that coming from a meat doe too. The mixed one I have now is standoffish. Just trying to get an idea so I know what to expect.

Thanks

Most of my NZ does are timid but not mean. When I pet them they get a "DON'T EAT ME" look in their eye. If I take the time to get them out they settle down pretty fast but are not cuddle bunnies. My bucks though will come to the cage door and set their head on the ledge to be petted and loved. As kits they are curious and friendly.

My NZs have been about the same. If they are handled often they are somewhat friendly, but not really the cuddle type. I do my best at cuddling them anyway even though they don't enjoy it as much as I do. :mrgreen:
My bucks have aways been more social than the does as well.
Even though they are not as friendly as some I still love 'em! :)

Times three. The above descriptions has been my experience with them also. Does were a bit aloof, but not mean at all. Boys were more friendly and enjoyed a face rub. Neither sex was keen on being picked up and cuddled.

Latest posts

Back