nz/flemish giant

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am new to the rabbit world an just had a question. I brought some rabbits from an auction i was told they where 12 week old flemish giants. Two weeks later i buy some nz reds from a local breeder an they are 8 weeks old. The rabbits are all the same size. The fg are white with red eyes an a sandy red color. My question is would there be any way to tell the difference between the to breeds at this age. I brought the flemish giant with out doing my research am realize that i want nz. I hate to get rid of what is supposed to be fg if they are really nz.

If you could post a picture of them that would be helpful. You should be able to tell the difference between a flemish and nz fairly easily.

x2 on the pics. FG are much bigger feet and ears.

i've heard some good things about fg/nz crosses. maybe since you already have em it might be worth a go keepin one to see how the crosses do? and just butcher the rest or resell them.

personally i really wanted to try the crosses but my FG does ate tons and refused to breed so i had to sell them.

I kept 2 of my FG/NZ red cross bucks because they are such handsome rabbits and will be worth something as meat rabbit breeders. They do have the best of both breeds in their conformation.

The FG grow slower but will pass the NZ in overall size in the long haul. As meat rabbits, the slower growth rate is less attractive because it takes more time to reach the final goal. But the cross between the two breeds adds growth rate and shoulder size from the NZ and length to the back strap and legs from the Flemish. The ideal offspring would be 1/4 Flemish, so keeping a 1/2 Flemish for breeding stock and breeding it back to New Zealand is the more common approach.

:yeahthat: This is what I am doing. I bred my FG buck to my NZW doe, I will be keeping a doe to breed to my NZR buck for 3/4 NZ 1/4 FG meat kits.

I agree with LeAnn :)

We had a NZW/FG doe. She was bred to (what we were told) NZW buck and had some nice kits that grew pretty nice. We got rid of her and her kits as they were really nasty and bit a lot... But we had a FG buck that if we had more cage space were gonna keep to breed to our NZW doe... but her got a Cal./creme mix instead... But I loved my FG buck! He was really awesome!! :D

I love my Flemish Giant/Champagne crosses!!!! We use a Flemish Giant doe and a Champagne buck. The Flemish Giants are great mothers.

Latest posts

Back