nvm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akane":3r6l48mh said:
I I got to junior high and wondered what anyone would do if I just didn't go. No one did anything. Why didn't I figure this out sooner? Now I can read a book in the time block everyone else is doing the homework I do while it's being taught instead of getting excessively complex math problems to do in tag.

When I tried that experiment, I discovered that the school can take you to court, fine you (repeatedly) and suspend your drivers license...when you aren't even old enough to have one yet.

I take it you were just skipping tag, and not school in general like I was?

The increasingly time consuming work is mostly why I will not push the kids ahead in grades. It becomes too tedious for their attention spans LONG before it moves into an area where they are challenged.

My son needs 12th grade reading material...but still designed for a 7 year old with a 2nd grade attention span. He can read any of the books, but he's not about to write a essay about it!!

My daughter already substitutes 12th grade vocabulary lists (that she finds online) for the 5th grade material the school gives her.

She could use some collage level science, as she's been busy looking up the the Latin names for every snail we can find her, but it would still need to be tailored to a 5th grade attention span.

I wonder if the school will ever understand that bright kids are still KIDS. :roll:

Everyone still had a study time when the tag classes went on. All it took was sitting in the study classroom I would have left. I wasn't away from school. I did refuse a class in highschool and went to the library during it and they still did nothing much. I wasn't running away from school. I didn't have a license until 18 anyway and I graduated a semester early so I was out of highschool months before I had a license.

JenerationX":38sj8owj said:
Also, if you're ever invited to join MENSA, just don't. They're all a bunch of pompous people that want to compare test scores and in the real world, they'd all die if they didn't have people to figure out the common sense stuff for them.
:yeahthat:

MamaSheepdog":38sj8owj said:
In grade school they graded achievement and effort. I would get high rankings in achievement and "S" for "Satisfactory" on effort. Ticked me off every time. :angry:
What... were you supposed to make it look hard? Break a sweat or something? :?

MamaSheepdog":38sj8owj said:
Bad Habit can mine her minions from RT. We have some amazingly intelligent folks here. :D
Precisely. She'll have to get her minions elsewhere. Everybody else on here is too busy working on becoming Evil Geniuses.

Don't worry. There are plenty of places where she can pick up minions. ARA forums, etc. :twisted: Remember how contradictory they are? They'll have signed a contract to work for the opposing side before they know what's happened.

akane":38sj8owj said:
I got put in tag (talented and gifted) from early schooling. Joy... I wanted more and harder schoolwork on top of the schoolwork I hated doing. I got to junior high and wondered what anyone would do if I just didn't go. No one did anything. Why didn't I figure this out sooner? Now I can read a book in the time block everyone else is doing the homework I do while it's being taught instead of getting excessively complex math problems to do in tag.
My elementary teachers just grouped the kids who needed more challenge together and let us move ahead of the rest of the class. Absolutely forbidden these days, because you might hurt the other kids' self-esteem. I voluntarily tested for the GT program, because I was so bored in regular middle school. Scored 141 on the IQ test, and got teased by my dad for bringing shame on the family because I had tested so low. He had tested at 143. :lol:

I've never had an IQ test, to my knowledge. I'm not sure what the testers would make of me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Not that I think I'm "super-smart" or "below-average", I just don't act or think like the average teen girl. "Teenager" almost seems to be a disease! :shock:

Galadriel":3w03c19h said:
I've never had an IQ test, to my knowledge. I'm not sure what the testers would make of me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Not that I think I'm "super-smart" or "below-average", I just don't act or think like the average teen girl. "Teenager" almost seems to be a disease! :shock:

Tests aren't good for much really. They only measure some abilities and don't account for they way your mind works if you're not a typical thinker.

When I was 6 or so (definitely younger than 8 for sure) my parents put me in this testing thing. I kind of remember some of the stuff and the building etc actually. They thought I might be ADD or something. Turns out I had a reading level about grade 11 and math a couple years ahead of my age in certain areas and on the same track or even behind in others. I still suck horribly at math except a few interesting things that are considered advanced. my science was ahead several years, admittedly dad and papas doing because of nat geo channel and hands on experiments etc.

Yup. turned out i wasn't remarkably short attention, just remarkably short attention for stupid repeating of the same darn thing a million times i already knew. I had some advanced special math class two grades in elementary school then it was stuff i sucked at, hahaha. My high school science was deplorable only because the cursed math you just HAD TO DO, especially on the tests. Luckily the science teacher loved me because he had dairy goats and my family had dairy goats and he always ended up talkin to me about farm stuff waitin for the bell to ring hahaha.

Back