nursing doe ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

II Arrows

Reaction score
I have been feeding my nursing does unlimited pellet feed with BOSS seads mixed in. Every now and then I'll give a pinch or 2 of old fashioned oats mixed in the feeders. Recently I cut back on the BOSS. They also get free choice coastal hay with a handfull of Timothy hay. A bale of Timothy or alfalfa hay is super expensive at my local feed and grain store. I'm trying to save a little on the pellet because my weanlings are like little velociraptors, and I'm going through feed at an epic rate. I free feed the weanlings with all the hay and pellets they could ever eat. I also give them some old fashioned oats for them to snack on. With the nursing does, should I be free feeding all the time to help keep up with her milk production, or does that not have anything to do with that? Should I only start free feeding when the kits start coming out of the nest box and sampling pellets? I apologize for all the rookie questions i just get frustrated sometimes because I'm trying to learn and retain everything all at once. Thank you all again for such an amazing and informative forum.

I free feed my nursing does, They need all the food and water they can get..especially if they have large litters.BOSS at night about 2-3 Tbs. oatmeal when I remember to buy it. If they don't get the calories they will convert muscle to milk, basically starving to feed little ones. For the grow outs I feed pellets twice a day, about 5 -6 cups for 6-7 kits . And all the bermuda hey they want. That may seem like a lot but I am butchering at 10-11 weeks, five lbs. live and getting 3.5 lbs dressed with no fat.
I raise meat mutts with a little flemish a little giant chin and probably some new zelands, but who really knows, when you buy mutts you get mutts...

I'm not too far from you in Virginia, and there are some things you can feed to cut down on the pellets- take a walk outside and find some kudzu, wild blackberry canes, wild rose canes. The kudzu is just getting going, but the others should be well on their way by now. If the buns aren't used to greens, start them off with just a bit, and gradually increase the amount.

I feed all my buns, growing kits included, daily greens. It doesn't eliminate pellets, but it keeps the little piranhas from eating us out of our home.

Latest posts

Back