Now THIS is the way to do a nest!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
DSCN3119.jpg

Angora doe's nest. Older doe, many kits. 6 popples in there somewhere. The nest is that furry all the way to the bottom. She went from having a nice coat growing in, to nothing but guard hairs on her sides and belly. :lol:

maynot have you beat, but my wife has a Polish doe that goes poodle... and it takes alot of polish hair to make a nest that looks like that.

Great nest!

My experience with Angoras nesting is nil, but I've heard there is a danger of the long fibres getting wrapped around little feet and necks and causing damage. Some people take the wool and snip it into short pieces to prevent this. Any thoughts on this, Ann? Or is it just one more of those hundreds of bunny myths?

You need to pluck before they kindle. (or shear, as the case may be) 2fold reason..to keep the fur shorter length, and to actually GET the wool instead of wasting it. After they kindle they just look like rats with tufts of long fur hanging out :lol:

The belly fur, which is what they pull, isn't that long. Maybe 1.5 to 2 inches. The stuff sticks like GLUE to anything that's slightly damp tho. my goodness.

It tends to make "clumps" of soft fur...rather like pillows, actually. I could see the longer stuff twisting around badly, yup.

the other thing I've been learning to do is to shear down the doe's behind...before she's bred. Easier for the buck, and then it's a nice short length for kindling. Otherwise they get all messy. :roll:

Latest posts

Back