Nothing to do with anything LOL!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyKarli

Reaction score
My mom would be so mad but she is trying to tell me she is not native! Says she is just Irish. I say she needs to dream on! Grandma was a wild woman who sang in bars & Mom was born in Yuma next to the Navajo reservation! Get over it Momma! Youz a half breed LOL! I have some sympathy. She was probably teased all her life about it & is now very touchy about it. I just wish Grandma was alive so I would have SOME idea about my heritage....Momma is 1 bird that won't sing :) I am proud to know I am native & wish I could find my relatives but it will never be :( Oh well :)

Attachments

• mom.jpg
    mom.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 776
I'm Danish, and when my Mom got older, she reminded me of a little old Asian lady. When I see them (Little Old Asian Ladies) I often do a double take, thinking my dear Mommy still walks this world. It's never her <sniff!> but it always makes me smile when I see an elderly lady that resembles my Mom.

Maybe when I get to be that age, and look Asian myself, I can play the part to the hilt... instead of wearing Muumuus, I can wear kimonos instead! :p

P.S. Just to be clear, my mother NEVER wore a Muumuu, but two of her best friends did. :lol:

Karli, lots of people who had native blood hid it after the Trail of Tears - which also had a few "whites" walking it, if they had loved ones among the tribe, or had been adopted into it. And they hid even MORE if they or their parents had avoided the removals. My mom does geneology research, and had one grandmother who, when asked, said her family was "Black Dutch", an even less common term than Black Irish, which 2nd term has been linked to part Irish/part Cherokee. My mom finally found Black Dutch mentioned in a "History of Cherokee County, Alabama" as a "euphemism" for part Cherokee. Even after fear of removal was gone, being part native was seen as similar to being part Black - not something to admit to, if you could "pass" for white. Glad to see you are interested in your heritage, and there's libraries and librarians who can help you search for more info, without upsetting your mom.

1/4 scottish, estimated 1/4th native american, and 1/2 german. Makes an interesting mix. :lol: Unfortunately while my mom's side which is half german half scottish is well researched the last person who knew about the native american side of my dad was my grandpa who died of lung cancer without telling us much. Just that the tribe was from somewhere around the ozarks where he moved back to from Iowa when he retired. My stepmom tried to research it and found lots of people on that side of the family who could tell the same story about native american blood existing in several places but no one who could give the details.

Me too ... shocked the heck out of me when I met a Native American at college that asked which family I was from. When I asked what he meant, he explained that I had tribal features of several families he had grown up with on the res. He believed I was a long lost relation ... it would have come through my maternal grandfather who never spoke about his family nor where he had been born or raised. Another who would have been "passing" especially with earning an appointment to West Point during WWI.

My old man's grandmother was full Objibwa, but she never spoke about it either, so we don't know her 'family.'

I know my Grandma was 100% Irish. I know the man Mom tries to tell me was her Dad was 100% Irish. Irish & Irish don't make NATIVE. I also know I will never know who my real Grandfather is or where the native part of me came from for sure. A whole Family I will never know. Makes me sad. Even if I went to the reservation. Grandma is long dead & who would know about it or her?? Family is important to me & to know I have one out there & will never even get a chance to meet them. BAH! I don't even know if I got one of those expensive blood tests done if it would tell me anything :(

Im French German English and Cherokee LOL with what ever else that is in the Mix. Im not afraid of what I am Im PROUD of it. We have information on our family tree going way back thanks to Uncle Frank on Mom's side and an Aunt on Dad's side :-D

I was adopted, but never bothered to care about any ethnicity differences between myself and my adoptive parents (who are mostly Irish, some German, by descent...most of the family came to America following the Great Famine in Ireland.) and it wasn't until about a year ago my dad mentioned I've got a nice thick streak of Native blood in me, tribe unknown. I was shocked! I mean, I was blonde as a small child (now my hair is really dark brown) and I have VERY, VERY blue eyes.

I expressed my surprise to my best friend, who has known me for almost my whole life...and she was like "HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE KNOWN???" LOL, she told me to look in a mirror, I'm angular as heck and have really high, high cheekbones. :lol: Apparently SHE knew just from looking at me for YEARS. Lol.

Been tempted to save up and get one'a those blood tests done, but they're dern expensive and I'm kinda sorta broke. ;)

YOu never know when long lost family may pop up. I just found out that I have an aunt. Never even heard of her for 38 years of my life and then this spring...... Surprise!!! When I asked my mom about her and why I never heard of her, she was really reserved in her answer. I asked my uncle and he couldn't say why she was never mentioned either. Weird. But she is awesome and Im surely glad to have her.

Hope you can find some of your "family" too. :)

By coupling standard geneology research methods with DNA, they are able to trace a LOT more of your family now than before. http://www.ancestry.com/wdytya2012e12 A good place to get started. Even without DNA, you might be amazed at what you find if you get into the geneology forums on the web. Even when family tried to hide the truth: my dad always told us about his great-grandfather, a doctor who supposedly was shot by "nightriders" during or shortly after the Civil War, for saving a union soldier (they were Southern). In doing her own research, my mom naturally looked for links on my dad's side, too, as families often moved together back when travel was rough, and in so doing, she met a researcher with documents on my dad's ggf. He was often CALLED "Doc", but no medical certificate or any reference as to why - he could have been an MD, or a horse doctor, or even just educated (like we might call someone Professor) and liked to show it! What he DID have was lots of land, and a young second wife, who apparently had a moochie family. He was shot, not by nightriders, but by her BROTHER, in a dispute over who inherited his land (his first wife's kids)! The researcher sent mom a copy of the newspaper article about the brother being "on the lam". My dad kind of lost interest in geneology after that, LOL. Though I like the real story better, sounds like Dynasty or Dallas, hah? Anyway, try the link, and who knows?

Family legends are so much fun. My mother grew up believing she had what her father called Indian blood and she was proud of it. Yes, her father asserted, your great-grandfather married an Indian woman. That much was true... but he neglected to mention that the young Native Canadian woman was a second wife... and we are descended from the first wife. Major disappointment when Mom found out the truth!

My husband is Native American. Ojibwe and Potawatomi. Your mom looks like a lot of people from his family!! LOL! His mom is "just about" full Native and he always thought his dad was Native and Polish. Come to find out very recently that what they thought was Polish is actually Jewish! (German) That explains the hair in this family!!! LOL!!

On my fathers side Indian was a dirty word. I know there is a lot of Indian on my dad's side but not sure how much. I can confirm at least 1/8th but we think there is even more. I have a great, grandmother who came out of Mexico who is suspected of being Indian but the family tried to cover up all about her. Wish I knew more. It takes a lot to get me mad but when I do I am told I have flashing Indian eyes. I am told I look Indian also. To bad there used to be a shame on any Indian heritage. I would love to know the truth.

when

Latest posts

Back