Not very pleased with these does right now :o(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandainohio24

Reaction score
So after not wanting to lift for all of September and October (at least not that I can recall), we finally had a few lift in the very early November. Well, while I was giving hay to them earlier this week 3 of the 6 age ready does had humongous haystaches when I have them it. I went ahead and gave them each a nest box cause "I could have typed in the wrong date for when they were bred" but still not 1 single baby! Now, when I have wrote down they are due is next week, I have never had a doe go crazy with her hay to make a nest before like they did this time and so far in advance. I think they are just doing this to me cause I am so excited about the upcoming litters this time. We bred our blue doe, rew doe, siamese sable doe and a black tort doe to a black tort buck. Along with our black doe to our broken black buck. We have a pointed white doe (who I have no idea when she is due) that was bred with a rew buck, or even if she took to her breeding (the breeder I got her from had her living with a buck for a month). Now if everyone would hurry up and have nice healthy kits I would have a nice assortment of colors in my nest boxes.

Maybe it has something to do with the colder weather? Both Mama and Kitty made their nests much earlier than usual and the only difference was the near and below freezing nighttime temps.

My does start haystaching at 2 weeks. I've heard that's a sign of a failed breeding, but with my stock, it is a sure sign of pregnancy. I've learned to ignore their haystache (other than smiling and noting that we have babies on the way) until day 28. I've had too many soiled nest boxes from putting them in early.

Kitty102":1g1xdmuk said:
Maybe it has something to do with the colder weather? Both Mama and Kitty made their nests much earlier than usual and the only difference was the near and below freezing nighttime temps.
We brought all the does inside the house about 1 week ago now (we had a big storm roll through that brought tornadoes and I was worried about them being outside) so they have been nice and toasty relaxing in my bedroom which I keep around 70 degrees.<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:09 pm __________<br /><br />
TerriG":1g1xdmuk said:
My does start haystaching at 2 weeks. I've heard that's a sign of a failed breeding, but with my stock, it is a sure sign of pregnancy. I've learned to ignore their haystache (other than smiling and noting that we have babies on the way) until day 28. I've had too many soiled nest boxes from putting them in early.
We have never had a doe have a haystach at 2 weeks. Normally ours have them the night before they have a litter which is why I am feeling stir crazy with these does right now. Every morning I have been waking up and hoping to see little popples in their nests. Best of all is that they all have nice pump bellies right now so hopefully we will have a nice sized litter with each of them.

Good luck! I still cant get any of the new zealands to breed, and I cant breed my lionheads until my buck is old enough, he still isn't interested in girls :lol:

JessicaR":2t99qcn8 said:
Good luck! I still cant get any of the new zealands to breed, and I cant breed my lionheads until my buck is old enough, he still isn't interested in girls :lol:
Ours are officially due on the 5th and some due on the 6th. We have 1 doe who we just bought a week or 2 ago that had been kept with a buck to hopefully breed before we bought her that could be due any time between now and Christmas.<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 pm __________<br /><br />Woo hoo!!!! We have 2 does pulling fur today. I know for sure one is going to have a several little cuties for me since I could feel them wiggling around inside her. Not sure for the other doe, she is not too happy with me messing with her so only time will tell. Crazy thing is they are mother and daughter. Would be cute if they deliver on the same day according to my kiddos.

Latest posts

Back