Not sure what to think about this youngster...sick?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typykal

Reaction score
I have a young buck - about 12 weeks old now. Last week I went out to feed the rabbits and noticed that his food and hay were both untouched. He seemed a bit off and after observing him for awhile he began to grind his teeth in a pained sort of way. I also noticed that he was not producing the normal amount of droppings, since I clean their pans daily.
I examined him very closely and found that he had somehow managed to injure a toe - it was raw, but not bleeding and was not broken...just a bit scraped. He wasn't limping obviously on it - but was taking care to lick it quite a bit.

I figured that he was just being a big baby about his toe and admitted him to a private "hospital" inside on soft bedding. And I have been coddling him ever since. It's been a week and the toe has healed almost entirely. However he still seems off his feed and is still grinding his teeth occasionally - like something hurts... He's gotten very lean - though I wouldn't describe him as being skinny - yet. But if this continues he will be soon. He's now about half the weight of his litter mates.

Aside from this - you'd never think anything was wrong with him. He's happy go lucky, energetic, plays a lot, his droppings are normal other than there not being a lot of them. If I didn't raise him from birth I would think that he's perfectly healthy - but I know him and I know he's off...but other than that I just can't put my finger on it...

Any thoughts?

entropathic illness brought on by stress most likely ... you need to give him LOTS of hay, potentially treat him for coccidia, and reduce the pellets. Do not keep him for a breeding rabbit. If you don't need him in your herd, just cull him out. You do NOT want to breed rabbits with gut issues into your herd.

Grinding of teeth is highly indicative of pain.

if you want to try to save him... throw some pineapple juice (fresh, not canned) into him. Give him some papaya to make sure his gut is moving.

But generally speaking...entropathic illnesses...particularly those brought on by mild stress... you don't want to breed that into your herd.

Oh...rough...I was really hoping that wasn't going to be the case. I had my suspicions, but I don't have enough experience to be 100% on the diagnosis....

Why oh why does it have to be the best typed rabbit I've got - with gorgeous color and fur? I was really eyeballing this one to be the future herd buck here...

Well, I'm going to give him the best shot I've got. We do feed papaya and he loves it so he's been getting that several times a day. He's been eating his hay, but only his hay. I feed pellets in the morning and hay by night. He's eating a very small amount of pellets - but nowhere near what he was eating or what his sister's eat. He's been eating his hay since he came inside and that seems to be what is sustaining him at this point. I'll give the pineapple juice a try too.

Thanks ladysown...
So what exactly am I looking at here as far as prognosis goes?

Will this recur throughout his life, and is it a genetic issue?

Typykal":2i77we2p said:
Why oh why does it have to be the best typed rabbit I've got - with gorgeous color and fur? I was really eyeballing this one to be the future herd buck here...

I agree with Ladysown. Definately do not need that in the herd.

As far as Why the best one ?? The one You really like ? It is "a Rule" that that happens. Happens over and over for us ( and i'm willing to bet for many other people) Also... one Never says the words * Rabbit Show * in the hearing of Any rabbit. Doing so causes instant molting, toe nail breaking, or worse: the Sex Change Fairy visits. ( "the Rule" also applies to machines and automobiles... one Never, Ever says nice things where those objects can hear them...cuz then they break or fall apart. )

:bunnyhop:

Random Rabbit":1ik90djt said:
Typykal":1ik90djt said:

As far as Why the best one ?? The one You really like ? It is "a Rule" that that happens. Happens over and over for us ( "the Rule" also applies to machines and automobiles...
:bunnyhop:

I know that Rule! And I HATE it!!!

So sorry to hear about your buck, Typkal. :(

If only I had a dime for every time that rule has proved itself true.........sure do wish it hadn't struck this time :(

On the upside the little guy is nowhere near death - in fact he is very much the opposite - seems happy, very energetic - just isn't eating his pelleted ration. Never had a bit of diarrhea and up until now he's never had a single problem. Gives me hope that this may be a mild case and I hopefully won't lose him to it. Even if it does render him nothing but a house pet to me.

Thanks for the condolences Mamasheepdog, I really appreciate the thought.

You could try adding a little kitchen oatmeal (the old fashioned kind) to his diet. It is palatable and easy to digest and may give him a little boost. Just a bit... don't overdo it, especially at first. Hay is the best thing for him, but he may need a few more calories than it provides.

Thanks Maggie I'll do that. Do you think a bit of yogurt would do him any good?

akane was adamant about not giving milk products when I suggested that. Probiotics may help though.

Okay....I guess we'll have to get down to the feed store first thing tomorrow then. Thanks MamaSheepdog!

I have a question and I am completely new to this, but I was wondering would a rabbit that was outside in the colder temp, needing more calories to keep warm, take less food when it comes indoors to a regulated environment? I just know my chickens eat more in the winter and my rabbits seem to as well, I just wondered if that was the cold?

home*sweet*home":2kgm5wo8 said:
I have a question and I am completely new to this, but I was wondering would a rabbit that was outside in the colder temp, needing more calories to keep warm, take less food when it comes indoors to a regulated environment? I just know my chickens eat more in the winter and my rabbits seem to as well, I just wondered if that was the cold?

I imagine they would need less food in a controlled environment. We all burn more calories when trying to stay warm. A lot of people feed more grain to their horses in winter to counteract that, whereas the same amount of grain in the warm months can cause excessive weight gain.

Exactly what MamaSheepdog said. Animals burn more calories in the winter, than in the summer, thus needing more feed. We always give our animals an extra scoop of food in the winter. We like our buns warm! :bunnyhop:
The indoor animals that arent exposed to the winter elements don't need as much.

So if he is acting fine and stool is normal, but he is just eating less, being inside could account for that couldnt it?

home*sweet*home":266rwnol said:
So if he is acting fine and stool is normal, but he is just eating less, being inside could account for that couldnt it?

It could, except for the teeth grinding... I don't know if rabbits sometimes grind their teeth out of boredom, like a horse will crib, but if not, something else is wrong.

Typkal, I am thinking it could be a hairball! I don't know if the ingredients in cat hairball remedies would be safe for rabbits (Ahem... Akane? Anyone?), but you might treat for fur impaction.

Latest posts

Back