Not so urgent now - hurt bunny.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyTinker

Reaction score
I came home to find one of 4 kits in a corner of the hutch and in a bad way. I thought he was stuck as he had his nose pressed out of the cage and was panting and looking quite distressed...

No obvious wounds, wasn't stuck... but his mouth makes a grinding noise when he chews. He is about a month old and has never shown any signs or problems. His litter mates are all fine as well.

I think he jaw may be broken, but I don't know how that could have happened... I don't think anything has gotten to them and as I said, no obvious woulds... just the grinding sound when he moves his mouth. No jutting bones and his teeth look ok.

I don't think he can eat, but I'm about to try and get him to... he is a bit lethargic as if he has been in pain for some hours...

He is dizzy, flopping too and a little spastic.

What do you think?

I would put the bunny out of his misery. You can't fix a broken jaw and even if it's not broken, dizzy, flopping and spastic sounds bad.

I agree and I almost did that immediately. I have lost a lot of rabbits lately though and it's tough to just give up on the little guy. All of my other losses have been bob cat related, but it has me down to just these 4 kits... and he is one of the 4. If I can save him, if it's not a broke jaw... I dunno...

It certainly is "bad" though.

Anyone else have any ideas or insight?

Teeth grinding is a sign of pain- are you certain that is not the grinding you are hearing?

I have no idea what ails him, but if he is panting he is likely overheated. I would wet down his ears and mist his body with water. If your house is cooler than the outside temps, I would bring him in.

I killed him :(

I guess I should do a necropsy on him. He was looking so bad and basically killed over...

It's not that hot today, not as hot as last week... all of the other rabbits seem fine with the temp currently too...

When I killed him and he kicked a bit, his belly made a sloshing sound... some liquid came out of his mouth too...

I'm guessing he couldn't eat and had drank a lot of water... sorry for all the "..." but I have no idea what this is and I'm afraid for my other rabbits now. Predators are a big enough problem, now I have one just killing over for no apparent reason...

Aww. I'm sorry. I have had to kill two young rabbits for snot in the past week. Not something I find pleasure in doing. :(

Let us know what you find. Pictures are always good in case someone has seen something similar.

Thank you MSD :)

I'll take care of that in a bit.

It's been a rough couple of weeks with my rabbits... been trying to trap this bob cat with no luck. Probably need to just put him out of MY misery...

This little guy will be the next bait, I guess.

Someone told me that a live chicken in the trap is the best way to catch a bobcat. Do you know anyone with extra roosters that they want to get rid of?

I know it sounds inhumane, but I am pretty certain that a bobcat would be at least as good as we are at rapid dispatch.

MamaSheepdog":1jg05vec said:
Someone told me that a live chicken in the trap is the best way to catch a bobcat. Do you know anyone with extra roosters that they want to get rid of?

I know it sounds inhumane, but I am pretty certain that a bobcat would be at least as good as we are at rapid dispatch.
I've heard that too. But I'd use a lame or sick bird if you can get one. It will probably die faster because it will move less.

Yeah, the bob cat seems quite good in the dispatch department.

Got into a grow out cage and killed 7 with no problem. Looked like a quick bite to the neck of each...

Then ate his fill and left.

I happen to be fresh out of live chickens... can you guess why?

In that case, maybe your dead bunny will do the trick. :?

Thankfully, although we do have bobcats here, they have never come inside the fenceline that we know of.

Latest posts

Back