Not quite colony yet, but getting there!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Well, the growers ate all their grass, moved the fence and then 3-4 days later, all that grass was gone. Used my two 50ft 60in rolls for 3 pens.

And then...I got new wire cutters, since I lost my 3rd pair of Kobalts...lol. Ones I found at the farm store are so much better and red!! No more loosing those!
Got to work cutting the 60in wire in half, well close to half. Also got 10 plastic posts and an using the cut fence into grass pens. I'll be rotating the rabbits in there to fresh grass as they mow it down, but the pens will stay.

Mowing the yard will now be mainly just the more tricky areas, like the hill, around the pool and under the trees.

Going to screw two pallets together for shade in each pen, since hanging tarps is so not going to work. They fly, tear, sag and the such. Plus they look very ugly and I want it all clean looking, neat and tidy!

My adults don't eat grass as much as the growing rabbits do. I only have two adults living together, the AmChin and the original Cali doe. The Cali digs, really annoying! The blue SF doe and the coco SF buck have their own pens in the mess in the middle of the yard, next the the growers and metal dog crate pen where the two does live with some of their kits.

Cali buck is in a tractor with 3 kits that kept escaping all the other pens. He doesn't mind them. The newer Cali doe is also in a tractor with her kits, the ones that haven't escaped yet.

I'm going to make one pen wrapped in chicken wire as well. All the escapees will be put into that pen.

This is what I'm thinking, but still questioning.
Should I put my two Cali grower does in with my other two adult Cali does?

Should I keep that one light Chin mix doe with her Chin mom? I'm keeping that kit to breed, so I guess keeping her with mom would be best, since eventually, she will be back in there.

Only have one unrelated pair of SF, each in their own pen. Cali buck will also have his own pen. These won't be moved around, they aren't digging and don't eat enough grass to move much.

Growers left in their own pen. I have some that I want to keep, should I move them in with the Chin mom and baby or wait until the kit is big?

Gawd, really need to fit in the butchering of the other rabbits tonight! None of the grower bucks are being kept, so that pen will be just the doe's I'm saving for breeding.

I believe that's all the rabbits...Pics in a few minutes of what I've got so far!

Any last minute suggestions? I have no money to spend, so may take awhile for me to add more open pens.

Sounds good! Never realized how much grass they would eat. Someone mentioned doing rabbit tractors on the paths in their garden- let them weed it for you. I am taking that idea next year since I hate weeding. I didn't realize until I read your post how effective they may be weeding my paths for me.

A little ot, how do you like your Am Chin? I know a breeder who has a few litters and I am tempted, I prefer the heritage breeds.

Looking forward to seeing your buns in their set-ups. Sounds great!

Well, butchered 3 bucks. Did not weigh them before butchering, was storming and had critters all over the place to keep an eye on...
Dead weights-

__________ Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:53 pm __________

The tractors were too much effort for me, lazy.
But if you do use them to weed, use the growers. Adults just take their time. :/

AmChin is great, she was a little wonky at first, but she's wonderful now. Very soft, big and now friendly, lol. Her mix babies are big, the 2.70 was an AmChin/Cali mix. Too bad I couldn't get before weights, but I will next time. I always end up butchering before/during rain storms, lol.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:17 pm __________<br /><br />Ok, 1st pic of the area I am planing out. Obviously not done..lol. There will be 4 pens in this area.
2nd pic shows the 4 pens in the middle of the yard. Front is the grower yard, almost no grass.
last pic shows the other single pens better.
pens.jpg

penns.jpg

peens.jpg

I like it! They are little mowers! I think you have a nice set-up for the buns.

Maybe I will go and check out the Am Chin buns while I am in NC. I try so hard to stay focused but rabbits are so addicting!

Attempted to use the two smaller [2.04 & 2.14] rabbits for the crock pot dinner. Cutting up was easy like the video showed, but then I had to cut up bite sized bits and get the meat off the legs. That took forever and two back legs done half *ssed and I decided to save the 4 front legs and the 2 back legs for a grill or frying pan instead. About 1.70 of meat chopped and in the pot from them. So again, not full weights...lol.

Ugh, no more potatoes in the pot and in general...ugh, no more crock pot!
Back to good 'ol pan frying.
Potatoes keep soaking up the blood taste and now w/the tomato paste, ugh. Just not worth it. Picking out the meat and putting it on toast.
Shitaky mushrooms, fail. Nasty and so slimy, back to the unnamed shrooms..

The pallet idea is a good one that I hadnt thought of so thanks for the idea!

As to cooking in a crock pot, dont bother taking the meat off the bones, it will fall off on its own when cooked.

Kind of Rabbit Kiev Caseroll is a favorite here adn the bones dont get in the way too much, but its done in the oven instead of a crock pot.

Your area for your rabbits is beautiful!

Day two of the stew, I'm thinking it's the herbs and stuff he added, but still thinking frying is better. lol.
Lots more hot and humid today, really need to get to moving those rabbits. Growers have no grass left and their pen is connected to two others.

__________ Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:29 pm __________

405385_449769945056519_72128286_n.jpg

392236_449769888389858_744454694_n.jpg

__________ Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 pm __________

Moved my growers into the huge area, it's still not divided up...ugh. But, in 14 days, there will be no grass, lol. But had to, their other pen has no grass at all.<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 pm __________<br /><br />Yesterday morning I moved the Cali buck in with the two does pen. Moved the blue SF doe in with the black SF buck. So, at least one pen is now living in a colony! =D

Beautiful countryside! I have lived in flat Florida for 50 years, but was born in North Alabama mountains, would live there (or VA, Kentucky, TN, the Carolinas - even saw an old missile silo property in the Adirondacks that looked cool, LOL) if I could afford to - anyway, kudos on your plans and your forging ahead. I sometimes get intimidated on this forum because I have only been raising rabbits since late May (plus a short stab at it 35 years ago), and I got rabbits before we finished pens, and babies we did not plan for (and no babies where we HAD planned), but I am so proud of my good mama rabbit, and my husband taking on building and bunny tending he NEVER asked for . . . rambling again! Anyway, will be following your progress!

Back