not pulling fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTJeff

Reaction score
suggestions please'
I've got a doe that is not pulling fur for her nest.
she was an unsuccessful mother first round, all kits on the wire. it really upset me so i did not breed for a long time
recently she was bred and had what I think were 3 or 4 kits. one on the wire and 2-3 buried in the nest box half eaten
so...re-bred her immediately.
yesterday was d28, put in nest box and she immediately started the nesting behaviors, mouth full of hay, jumping in/out of the box, rearranging all the material. checked on her today and there is a poorly formed nest with no fur pulled.
my question to the group is:
can I or should I put something else in the nest?

leave her be. She'll either figure it out or she won't. the fact that the second time she did better than the first time is encouraging. if she doesn't figure it out, then I would retire her from breeding.

That is perfectly normal.

But why re-breed a terrible breeder?? You've given her plenty of chances. I'd get a new doe.

If it's really warm where you are she may not pull as much fur. I had a litter born July 4 and the doe pulled just a tiny bit of fur and the kits are still nice and warm. It's been upper 90s and low 100s here too.

just a little update
she's pulling like a champ tonight.
its kinda wierd, she pulled a bit last night and i thought we're on the way...no kits this morning day 31
well, about dusk she was pulling like there was an arctic blizzard coming.
we'll see what happens in the morning
thanks to all for the feedback

final note:
Monday morning there were 7 healthy pieces of popcorn snug in a mound of fur
I guess the 3rd time is the charm
thanks for the feedback everyone!

Latest posts

Back