not good for dogs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbers91

Reaction score
found an add on craigslist WANTED:freezer burnt meat and scraps from hunters and processors for dogs.

now, I'm no expert.. and I did feed my parents dog raw then cooked diet when we first got her cuz she was soo emaciated and wouldnt take to kibble, but I'm pretty sure freezer burnt stuff and random organs are NOT good for dogs. I mean we have freezer burnt deer meat in the freezer and if I wont eat it (which I'm not) I'm sure as heck not going to feed it to my moms dog.. i gotta throw that out lol

Im just worried about the dogs here. I know people have good intentions with things but sometimes thoughts are led astray and I just think most organs and freezer burnt/bad meat shouldnt be fed to dogs..

and if your an expert feel free to lend me more knowledge, just sayin.. heres the link to help you process what I am talking about lol

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/wan/3119532892.html

Also sorry i didnt know where else to put this.

...Lets put it this way, dogs eat old, rotting meat and are fine...
Freezer burnt is just dehydrated and frozen.
They also eat 'random' organs and live just fine.
I would leave the people be, there are far worse people for you to go after.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 pm __________<br /><br />Here---
Safe for people to eat, just feels/tastes off.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/freezerburn.html

well, yea, just wasnt sure about the consistance of something. I didnt message them or anything, just wasnt sure.

and oooh thats freezer burn lol yay education! and umm i think the deer meat is still bad, cuz idk how long its been in there so I'm still not eating it lol

Freezer burnt meat is a great resource for raw feeders. There's no harm to the majority of the meat. It just doesn't taste the same. My akita prefers her meat freezer burnt. The longer it's sat the better and she won't touch fresh raw that hasn't been frozen for a week. I throw it in the freezer wet to purposely freezer burn it faster for her liking.

Random organs are also always useful. You can get some cuts of muscle meat dirt cheap but a balanced diet needs the organs. If we didn't have rabbits to feed with their giant livers for their size we'd be hunting down organ meat because the other resources we have only give muscle meat.

Hehehe sounds like one of my ads. It's perfectly safe....if it wasnt Im pretty sure my dog would be dead or at least sick by now...but he's the picture of good health!

Freezer burnt just means its tastes funny to us, dogs like it just fine and it's not bad for them. My dogs eat it and it hasn't bothered them yet.

you could throw that freezer burned deer my way. Game like that is better off frozen to kill parasites.

skysthelimit":16xxhqlr said:
you could throw that freezer burned deer my way. Game like that is better off frozen to kill parasites.

but its been in the freezer for at LEAST 2 1/2 years, I'm pretty sure it's no good lol

Shelbers91":6ryso71j said:
skysthelimit":6ryso71j said:

but its been in the freezer for at LEAST 2 1/2 years, I'm pretty sure it's no good lol

dogs bury bones, dig them up, rebury them. If a dog found a dinosaur bone, he would chew it. If there is flesh on it, they will consume it.

Cooking meat ruins a lot of vitamins and minerals, so cooking meat for dogs/cats is pointless. You'll have to feed more to equal the same raw.
Heck, I eat raw smoked bacon, no issues. You just need the right gut bacteria to break it all down.

Not reading all replies, I'm exhausted and must sleep in a moment, so apologies if this is redundant...but freezer burn isn't all that bad and honestly, old meat is fine. :)

The oldest meat I've eaten is 12 year old venison. My dad had a package of venison that got "stuck" in a chunk of frost in the faaaaaaaaar back corner of the freezer...we are lazy about cleaning it out so it wasn't until we were overwhelmed with the frost buildup icing over everything that we removed everything and shut it down...and lo, amid the watery slush, was a half-thawed package of meat that was all but green.

My dad declared it to be "still good, just funny-looking." We soaked it with BBQ sauce to mask the color and funky flavor, and cooked it (with more sauce) and ate it (soaked in sauce). It wasn't bad. Neither of us got sick (for some reason nobody else would try it! ;)) and frankly I can't see why it would...nomads in Siberia are reported to have found a wooly mammoth within the last decade, frozen in the icy tundra...and they ate it. :x :p Now THAT is some epic freezerburn!!! :lol:

Kyle@theHeathertoft":np8fu17f said:
nomads in Siberia are reported to have found a wooly mammoth within the last decade, frozen in the icy tundra...and they ate it. :x :p Now THAT is some epic freezerburn!!! :lol:

Dang Kyle, you beat me to it!! :lol: Of course by all intents everyone who ever ate mammoth has said it tasted like eating an old leather shoe, and you inevitably felt pretty gross afterwards ;)

But yes, feral dogs and dogs that roam will consume much, much worse and be none the worse for wear for it. The labs I had back when my parents were breeding, lo these long 17 years ago, occasionally got out of their pen and decided that they wanted something to snack on. They'd show up with dead birds, woodchucks, baby bunnies, and the occasional deer leg that a poacher had sawed off. :shock:

The worst we generally have to worry about is salmonella, and most animals carry some form of salmonella in their digestive tracts, especially animals that use their tongues to clean their genitals and anal regions :sick: Like dogs and cats. This is why health workers tell you to wash your hands after handling animals.

The good thing is that dogs don't suffer from salmonella...no bacteria can colonize in their stomaches because they have a TON of hydrocholoric acid (I think I spelled that right) and have a pH of 1. I heard of a study where a dog had salmonella in his feces but wasn't sick at all. So, it passed through his system with no problem whatsoever.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2a83vf75 said:
It wasn't bad. Neither of us got sick (for some reason nobody else would try it! ;)) and frankly I can't see why it would...nomads in Siberia are reported to have found a wooly mammoth within the last decade, frozen in the icy tundra...and they ate it. :x :p Now THAT is some epic freezerburn!!! :lol:

I actually remember reading somewhere about a restaurant that popped up where they found a frozen mammoth carcass and was selling Mammoth Steaks...they had to be cooked as soon as they were thawed or the meat would rot really fast, though.

Dogs also have a relatively short intestinal tract. Food goes in, gets digested quickly and goes out pretty fast too.

Back