Not Good Enough

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Looking at my rabbitry, and at my pedigree program, I can't help worrying that I do not have a competitive herd. It is actually quite a terrifying thought to look at your rabbits and wonder if you've wasted so many years of your life with no forward progress. I've always maintained a small rabbitry, and that has simply added to the challenges of improving my herd. I've had to start over so many times due to bad purchases and bad advice. I've made tough choices when it comes to selling/culling rabbits and moved on some I would rather have held onto for want of space. Almost my entire herd is made up of rabbits bred here, and I am very picky about the rabbits I bring into my herd for a plethora of reasons... Mostly, though, because I am worried I will lose what I've worked towards. I have problems within my herd, though, and no name for myself. I have a difficult time selling my rabbits for even a pittance when I see others selling rabbits hand over fist based on reputation alone for prices 2-4x what I am asking for my stock. As I test the waters and move forward into attempting to show, I'm concerned that I am simply looking at extra expenses and another kick to my confidences with DQ's and low placings. I wonder if I am really cut out for this, if showing rabbits is really where I want to be going with my hobby. I can't afford the expensive starter stock, I don't have the rabbits to beat the rabbits from top quality rabbitries. I only have the blood sweat and tears I have poured into my rabbits for the last 5 years. And I'm scared that it's not going to have been enough.

And you may have a couple of BOB or BOS rabbits in your herd too.
Won't know for sure until you put them on the table.

Everyone gets discouraged at times, Bad Habit . . . and it sounds to me as though that's what's happening with you right now. Hang in there through the rough patch -- this is not a time to make irrevocable decisions.

It may be a time to ask yourself what you hope to get out of raising rabbits. Do you lean towards being process-oriented or goal-oriented? Is having championship stock important to you or do you just like working with rabbits, doing the best you can to improve the stock you can afford?

Don't beat yourself up for choices you made in the past that you now see as mistakes. Think instead how much you have learned, how much experience you have gained along the way. No one starts out as an expert.

Hang in there! :autumn:

Bad Habit":vlmo9rcf said:
I only have the blood sweat and tears I have poured into my rabbits for the last 5 years. And I'm scared that it's not going to have been enough.

Being scared when you venture into something new is human.

I don't show rabbits, but as a strong believer in the power of people, I would ask that you consider turning what you wrote above around. "I have five years of learning, breeding, researching, and living with rabbits under my belt. I am not just jumping into showing with my first rabbit. If I go to a show and the judge doesn't think I brought the best bun to the table, I can take their comments, evaluate them, and use my experience and knowledge to make improvements."

Look at the advantage you have over someone just starting out, someone with little to no clue of how to improve their lines.

To me, the real question is whether you are enjoying what you're doing. As long as that answer is "yes", then giving up hurts no one but you.

Marinea":1d4xmxdz said:
To me, the real question is whether you are enjoying what you're doing. As long as that answer is "yes", then giving up hurts no one but you.

^^That^^

I looked at your FB page ... it appears you have had some good results in showing according to the images there.

As for being frustrated that someone else is able to get more for their product because of name alone ... Maybe its not just the name but the price. Consumers are stupid .... they'll pay more for the same product in a prettier wrapper .... and often think just because something costs more it has to be better.

As an experiment , try raising your prices to the level of the competition or even higher. You might be surprised by the results.

None of us are going to get rich raising rabbits ....

Ramjet raises a good point about prices. We used to sell antiques and collectables at the St. Lawrence Sunday Market in Toronto. If something wasn't moving, we often found that raising the price made it seem more desirable to the buyers. And we could always give them a discount off the inflated price if we wanted to . . . Then they felt like they were really getting a bargain.

Please do not beat yourself up, we all live and learn through our mistakes. We learn a LOT more by making them than we ever could if everything went perfectly right off the bat.

Are you still enjoying showing rabbits ?
Are you enjoying working with and handling your rabbits ?

If you are still getting enjoyment and knowledge from your endeavors, then it *IS* worth continuing.
Because it's with that knowledge that your herd will improve, and with that enjoyment that makes the time well spent.

Or have they become a burden to you ? I hope not, but if they have, then maybe it is time to let go.

There's another thing about showing too. Just because one judge hates a rabbit does not mean the next will...you have to be able to look at your herd and go what do I want in MY perfect rabbit. I've seen some get called snake food and another judge place BOB.

Ah, Bad Habit! I'm in pretty much the same spot :) It's encouraging to read through the responses. I must say, I'm really scared to cull what I have now...some I know aren't great, but they "might" have great babies....and I think I'm scared to cull because I have culled rabbits in the past I wish SO bad that I had kept! Worried I'll make that mistake again :)

Hey Bad Habit,
you've received some very good advise.
Don't let a few loses get you down. Many times all you need is another part
to finish the process. In the past I have purchased Rabbits for as little as $10.00
simply because I required the part that that particular rabbit could provide.
Once you find a few rabbits with the right part, [Shoulders, hindquarters, Etc.]
all you need to do is put those parts together through proper breeding choices.
A Champion can even be produced by breeding what others might see as
worthless. If breeding the two can put the best parts of each together
A super Rabbit can be produced. Also, remember that Rabbits go through a gangly
stag as they are maturing. Do not toss the baby out with the bathwater.
A rabbit is made in the nestbox, so if it showed promise in the early times, like before
or shortly after weaning, what you saw will come back as it matures. You have to give them a chance to grow into themselves. Always retain the very best Buck and two Does from each litter.
You can reassess them after the mature and cull those that don't make the grade.
Remember: You are the one who has to be impressed with your stock, only YOU
can make the final decision when it comes to YOUR Rabbits!
If you are happy with them! Hang the thoughts of the public and even the Judges!
After all, the Judges are only people/Human just like you and I!
They can and DO make mistakes too!
Rabbit on Bad Habit!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Everyone has great advice here. I think having long term goals really helps, where do you see your rabbitry in another 5 years?

I was in a similar place this spring, I have a small child (soon to be two :) and showing is difficult for me but I want to breeding the best quality I can. I really took a hard look at all my rabbits and asked myself if someone else was selling it would I buy it? I took all the money from pet sales and reinvested it in some great quality rabbits and moved along some that weren't fitting my goals.

I guess it's really hard to put into words how I am feeling at this point.

All of my issues started when I started trying to switch from pet quality to show quality.

I went from having hardy, healthy rabbits with few losses and no illness to constantly having to treat for weaning enteritis, and tons of losses. I went from trusting that a breeding would result in a litter to most of my does missing their breedings. No issues with fleas/mites to requiring a regular treatment regimen for all the rabbits.

My rabbits have become unsuitable for pet homes because of their increased mane and decreased health, but no one wants them for breeding/show rabbits either.

I used to really enjoy my rabbits, but over the last year or so - since I started thinking about showing and putting myself out there - I've found it becoming more stressful, more of a trigger and less of a release.

It's hard to enjoy a hobby when all you can do is worry about how much of a failure you are.

Well ....what changes did you make in transitioning from pet to show ?? Did you add a lot of new genetics to the herd ?

Bad Habit":2y4mxksn said:
I went from having hardy, healthy rabbits with few losses and no illness to constantly having to treat for weaning enteritis, and tons of losses. I went from trusting that a breeding would result in a litter to most of my does missing their breedings. No issues with fleas/mites to requiring a regular treatment regimen for all the rabbits.

My rabbits have become unsuitable for pet homes because of their increased mane and decreased health, but no one wants them for breeding/show rabbits either.

It sounds like your herd is experiencing generalized immune system problems.
Maybe due to the stress of being moved around and shown?
If so, regular probiotics might help.

It does seem fishy that all those problems would turn up at once, but there is still a chance that some of it is coincidence.

There could be something off about the feed if the kits have enteritis, maybe a bacterial or mold contamination issue at the mill? You wouldn't necessarily be able to see or smell the difference.

Some show lines do seem to be terrible in the health/hardiness/or temperament department though.

It almost doesn't even make sense, since you would think healthy rabbits would outperform typey but unhealthy ones. :?

I dunno. I couldn't say enough good things about the show lines of Lilac and Harlequin rabbits I've kept.

The velveteen lops have been good breeders and mothers, but a nightmare in the genetic health department.

The show silverfox were hardy as anything, but mean or unreasonably terrified of all humans, and not the best mothers.

Others have had very different experiences with those breeds, since there is so much variation between lines.

It seems like show breeding might not be worth the fuss for you. If you think breeding for healthy, hardy pets was more fun and less stressful then I don't see why you couldn't return to that.

I know exactly what you mean. I did the same in reverse. My first breed was a rare breed and I had good ones. And many many problems. It got to the point that I would dread going into the rabbitry every evening for fear of hearing yet another sneeze or having yet another problem. That is no way to live. I had a reserve in show rabbit that I had high hopes for... but then the sneezing began. Constant culling was getting me down.

So I switched to my meat crosses. If I have to cull I am no longer upset...I just eat them. The rabbits are fun and I enjoy my rabbit chores and care at last.

Bad Habit":110qdbsd said:
I guess it's really hard to put into words how I am feeling at this point.

All of my issues started when I started trying to switch from pet quality to show quality.

I used to really enjoy my rabbits, but over the last year or so - since I started thinking about showing and putting myself out there - I've found it becoming more stressful, more of a trigger and less of a release.

It's hard to enjoy a hobby when all you can do is worry about how much of a failure you are.

Unfortunately some don't breed for health and breeding strength like others do, researching a line heavily is important and asking tons of questions. I'm assuming did that, but its not just asking the breeder questions it is asking others what they've seen/heard of the line and what kind of combinations line wise have turned out OK. Some likes just DO NOT cross well with others and will result in the problems you are having (some have done worse). Some times you don't have the option or enough information and just have to try the cross, in comes problems and strict term culling. My spring/summer MR litters were all junk, pet quality or had weaning problems (brought in new lines over the last 8 months to improve tri type and fur) so have not kept a single one out of over 50 kits. Will be changing pairing and breeding to see if that fixes and if it doesn't will sell those new stock and look for another line with the qualities I want to bring in. Some I've got relations to, others I do not but no matter how the parents have been I've ended up with pancakes and Himalayan like MR lol. Over a year's worth of work, gone but not willing to give up. Tri MR are ones I first started with, they were never really show typed but I want to get there some day. Having a strong desire and love to get them to be competitive has kept me going and brought me back even when I sold every rabbit I had.

With show/breeding rabbits, I do not treat for any thing like weaning problems etc. I term cull as soon as I notice a baby not growing/acting as should and only keep the "normal" or "good" ones to pick out from. Treating for any thing isn't going to help strengthen a show line even though it really stinks to go out to find all but 1 or an entire litter isn't up to snuff and must be put down. It is part of a strong show program I think. If you have good genetics to work with, hard take no prisoners culling and choosing from 100% healthy strong stock out of litters to move forward with is only way to get any where. Of course, I'm sure you know most of that already but maybe some thing missing or reassuring there. It is very tough to have a long time standing show string that is as health sound as mutts when you first start out if there are problems and allowances for those problems.

Don't get too discouraged, keep head up. If you really decide you aren't cut out for show breeding though, you tried and tried hard. Most that find it difficult quit or just plain give up a few months or year into looking when they realize what they have and what they can afford is no ways near competitive for their breed (or larger shows).

Rebel Rose is right .... you have to be absolutely ruthless in culling. You simply cannot keep critters with any problems or you are just allowing those problems to compound one after another .... makes for a hot mess.

Keep the best , eat the rest.

I'm also of the opinion that if you have healthy animals of a given breed who aren't quite typey enough for the show table , it doesn't take wholesale changes - adding lots of new genetics to the mix - to fix those shortcomings , simply adding one healthy animal who's faults and strengths compliment those of your existing herd can make a big difference in the overall quality of your herd. It may take you a bit longer to produce high quality show animals but it sure beats the alternative of dealing with overall weak animals.

Back