Not enough fur pulled

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I have a holland lop doe that has given birth tonight to six very healthy well fed babies however mom has pulled hardly any fur, I mean only a few tuffs of fur. This is her third litter, her biggest yet and it's been a habit of her not to pull enough fur (first litter didn't make it, second litter I had to foster due to only one single kit). I usually save other does fur but I'm all out. So for tonight (thankfully its a warm night) I've pulled apart cotton balls and placed them on top of the kits and a bit of hay (not a lot). So far just being six of them in a nice pile up they are keeping themselves warm but is their anything else I could do better besides the cotton balls or should that be ok? I could bring the kits in at night to but prefer them with mom to give her a chance to finally raise a litter on her own. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll wake up to her pulling more fur! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Take the Dam out of the cage and
pull enough fur from her sides and rump
to cover the kits. This will not hurt the Doe,
the fur will pull out easily. Doing this will also stimulate
her to doing it herself.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks guys! I checked them this morning and they were fed and toasty warm! I pulled her fur and got them covered up ^_^ I know for sure I have two broken blacks or possibly seal or if I hit the genetic lottery siamese sable (unlikely though). Several of them are also pink (maybe rew or himi) but some I can make out shading so perhaps sable point like the doe. Surprisingly though no torts, I've had my far share of black torts and the others are extremely light but who knows! Could have a couple of charlies to. ^_^ Doe is sable point, sire is black who is out of a sable point and black doe.

To get Charlie's you'd need two broken patterned parents.

A seal is just a Siamese sable with two shaded genes so is actually harder to get than Siamese sable which can be shaded and himi or shaded and REW

Back