not eating/ acting strange

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgibson2009

Reaction score
I have a year old American Chinchilla who over the past couple days isn't eating very much and is pretty much staying in the corner of her hutch. Nothing has changed so I'm not really sure whats going on with her. Any ideas? I'm thinking of bringing her in to watch her for a couple days.

GI stasis most likely.

You need to jump on this right away if you want to save her.

gas drops, force feeding liquids etc.

If it's OK with being handled gentle stomach massage may help. Baby simethicone drops to break up gas.Try to get it to move or run around.

Omg i just went to get her and bring her inside and her bottom is COVERED in nast greenish diahrrea (sp?) I have no idea what to do

NO pellets, just give hay, old fashion Oatmeal (dry) and you MUST make sure she is drinking. Force her to if you have to or she'll dehydrate extremely fast and you'll lose her. Sprinkle a little Bene-bac (probiotic powder) on her oats to help get the gut working again. You can get it at most PetsMarts.

If she's reached the force feeding stage, cooked pumpkin is easy-on-the-guts and high in fluid content.

It's my go-to dropper food, mixed with an electrolyte solution, because soluble fiber bulks up stool and helps stimulate intestinal movement while still being very gentle.

thank you all for your replies, I found an electrolyte solution recipe on here and made it up for her, I forced her to drink some and then she perked up, i also gave her some probiotics, I cleaned her bottom a little bit and shes just now finally drinking on her own and nibbling at some hay, i have some oatmeal in there but she wont touch it. I'm gonna keep her inside for the night and assess tomorrow.

Have you considered treating for coccidiosis? generally [in my opinion] a messy butt is just a symptom. If the rabbit has not had a feed change, or if the diarrhea lasts more than a day, I personally would treat for coccidiosis asap." In my opinion", it is the leading cause of GI troubles.

JMHO, -I never wait, if I see a rabbit with a messy butt, I immediately feed allium [onion family] plants, --or start a Corid treatment, if no plants are available..

a hand full of onion tops, or green onions, [usually about 2 bunches from the market] for a couple of days, then a hand full once a week for 3 weeks, -- they should have immunity developed by then. If you go with Corid, then instruction are on the bottle or bag, [treatment dose, not prevention dose]

I realize I am hijacking someone else's thread but our problems are so similar that there isn't really a point in making a new thread.
I have 12 week old standard rex baby that was also acting lethargic, hunched, and staying in place. Considering he stays in a colony style room and typically runs away this was abnormal behavior. Log on to RabbitTalk, find this thread, I give him hay and lots of oats before rushing out the door to buy pedialyte and simethicone gas drops. Come back, most of the oats are gone and he is starting to act a lot like himself again(All in less than half an hour). Should I give him the gas drops and pedialyte anyways just in case? Currently quarantined in a separate cage from the others.

Okay, fed 0.3 ml of the gas drops (Recommended dosage to get the 20 mg simethicone) and added pedialyte to water since bunny still seems willing to drink on his own. Now to wait till morning to see if he has improved

Delicatessy":woh2q4il said:
I realize I am hijacking someone else's thread but our problems are so similar that there isn't really a point in making a new thread.
I have 12 week old standard rex baby that was also acting lethargic, hunched, and staying in place. Considering he stays in a colony style room and typically runs away this was abnormal behavior. Log on to RabbitTalk, find this thread, I give him hay and lots of oats before rushing out the door to buy pedialyte and simethicone gas drops. Come back, most of the oats are gone and he is starting to act a lot like himself again(All in less than half an hour). Should I give him the gas drops and pedialyte anyways just in case? Currently quarantined in a separate cage from the others.

a hand full of onion tops, or green onions, [usually about 2 bunches from the market] for a couple of days, then a hand full once a week for 3 weeks, -- they should have immunity developed by then. If you go with Corid, then instruction are on the bottle or bag, [treatment dose, not prevention dose] a probiotic is also helpful

Back