Non-rabbit people conversation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
NRP - Meat rabbits can be pets?

me - yes,

NRP - really?
but they are meat rabbits! don't people just eat them?

me - yes, but not always.

NRP - I thought meat rabbits were kept in small pens and not treated nice so then they were mean.

me - bad owners can treat their rabbits poorly, but most owners/breeders treat their rabbits nicely and expect their rabbits to do the same.

NRP - oh.. okay.....

me - meat rabbits are usually calmer in temperament and if their parents are nice, then their offspring usually are too. Should I ever have a house rabbit - it will be off meat rabbit breeding.

NRP - ah.. and you know your rabbits right?

me - meh... I try. :)

lol. Was this a real conversation? I am always surprized when people want the little rabbits, I like the bigger ones, personally.

yes, real conversation, via facebook with a "with a not to be named" person.

this individual had some AR background, not an activist or anything, but had read and bought into some of the hype.

I always figure people have seen small pet rabbits bite and scratch and then imagine 9 or 10 POUNDS of biting and scratching rabbit and are intimidated. I always compare them to Clydesdales--everybody knows draft horses are sooo gentle...the switch goes on.

Same with dogs. A chihuahua or toy poodle is quite likely to be high-strung, while a big lab or setter looks at you like, "Why are you always in such a hurry?"

I do not think all small rabbits are hyper.My daughters jersey woolies were sweet.most of mt Netherlands arent hyper.

Latest posts

Back