No fur???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitcutie

Reaction score
Oreo is 31 days pregnant today and she hasnt pulled any fur or made a nest!!! i know for sure she is pregnant because i can feel the kits inside of her. the last time this happened with a first time mommy and she ate her kits. Oreo is a second time mommy.

Does her nest box have plenty of hay or straw stuffed into it? Lots of does don't really build a nest until the last minute and may not pull fur until the kits are actually being kindled.

Rabbits rarely eat live kits. Odds are they were all stillborn so she disposed of them and did not make a nest. Very common with first time mothers to get a kit stuck and kill all the kits held up behind it.

As to not pulling fur, some don't do it until after they start labor or even after they finish labor. These are bad rabbits to breed in the winter but work out ok the rest of the year most of the time.

oh yeah. Their is so much hay in it and around it that she could have them anywhere. I am just really worried:(<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 pm __________<br /><br />THe rabbits were not stillborn. I was in the barn one day and i felt the kits in her belly. When i came back 10 minutes later, she had the placenta and 2 kits. She had 5 kits in all, all were alive. The next day i came in, their was half a kit. It was horrifying.

They may have been born live and died from chilling. Momma would still clean up the nest by eating them. Or, there is always the possibility of a predator having got into the cage. I don't know how many times people have blamed the doe only to find out later that it was a rat or weasel. I'm not saying that a doe never eats living kits, but it is very unusual.

Mine seem to make nest days in advance but don't pull fur till after the litter is born.

A lot of my does wait until just before the kits are born to pull fur.

And I have one neurotic doe that will pull fur and build a nest a week after breeding :lol:

Latest posts

Back