Nice to meet you!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mama.

Reaction score
Hi. I have wanted rabbits for a long time. I volunteered last summer on a homestead and learned a lot about them. I have 1 California buck and doe, and one New Zealand doe. I build my cage out of hardwire cloth and a frame out of wood. They are too young to mate (3/31) so just working on automatic watering and feeding systems! So excited to find this forum!

Welcome :)

I started raising rabbits 10 years ago, and I knew practically nothing. It's a steep learning curve, so I would say that you should try out what you have in mind without investing too much at the start :). Improvise. For example - I don't see any need for a watering system in my setup, just 2 pairs of does, only one pair breeding does, a simple crock refilled every few days does the job nicely, with a 5-10W heating pad undernieth even through winter. Keep it simple :).

My feeding system for times when I'm away for days is a 12yo girl from down the road, after initial training that works really fine. Also improves my contact to local people (I tend to be kind of a hermit).

Last edited:
Welcome :)

I started raising rabbits 10 years ago, and I knew practically nothing. It's a steep learning curve, so I would say that you should try out what you have in mind without investing too much at the start :). Improvise. For example - I don't see any need for a watering system in my setup, just 2 pairs of does, only one pair breeding does, a simple crock refilled every few days does the job nicely, with a 5-10W heating pad undernieth even through winter. Keep it simple :).

My feeding system for times when I'm away for days is a 12yo girl from down the road, after initial training that works really fine. Also improves my contact to local people (I tend to be kind of a hermit).
Thanks for the tips. I travel every month, so an automatic watering system is a must have for me. I do have people who can check on them and food every couple of days. I’m not sure what I will do this winter.

Latest posts

Back