Newbie Q on balancing natural feeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoannaCW

Reaction score
We’re trying to figure out feeding our rabbits as much as possible with what grows on our farm and since we just bought the buck and 2 does in April and had the first kits born (7 in one litter, 8 in the other) May 21 and 22 we are very much in the learning process. Spring was slow this year so at first we were giving them lots of willow and apple twigs just in bud or early leaf, then the first young dock, burdock, dandelion and then grass and clover as it came along. All of those (and other things) were eaten readily. At the start they were also getting pellets to which they were accustomed but seemed to prefer fresh stuff. Not long ago the pellets were finished, we bought a bag of oats and put in mineral block pieces off what we use for our goats.

Now that the grasses have headed the rabbits seem less interested in them--same for burdock leaves as they get bigger and the woody things now that they’re fully leafed out. They’ll eat a little young goldenrod but it isn’t a favorite. They have hay feeders that are filled whenever they get low, but they don’t seem to eat that much when they have green stuff in front of them. So they are getting more clover, still will eat all the plantain I give them. Some things I’ve read say grass is the base food for rabbits. Is it a problem that they’re eating less of it? Is it a problem that their feed is quite varied but not consistent day to day? (Guess that’s how we eat--asparagus every day for weeks until it’s done and by then we’ve started getting peas and strawberries and have all the greens we want for a while.) I try to refill their green feeders when they empty them, but what about when they just don’t eat something they were eating before? Should I take it out and try something else or leave it until when would be the “normal” time for another batch? I don’t want to train them to be fussy eaters. The kits are growing fast--just starting to move them out from the doe’s cages.

Also wish I understood better which things I gather meet which needs and what the balance should be--protein and energy and fiber. And wonder if sometimes they’re having trouble getting the green stuff which is held up against the cage wire from the outside. They seem to get everything pulled in when they want it--and Zach built the cages and set up the feeders--I just fill them. I’ve recently been stripping seed from the grass heads when I’m out birdwatching around the wild edges and they eat those readily--don’t know if that is better or worse than giving them the whole headed out grasses.

Sorry this is so long. We’re learning so much from the forum and from observing the rabbits.

I don't know where you are located (please add your state or province to your profile) so some of my comments may not be quite on target.

The basis of a good natural diet is a legume hay such as alfalfa. Mine have always had it in front of the 24/7. In winter they eat quite a lot of it; in summer they prefer to rely mainly on the greens. But the alfalfa is there to let them balance their protein needs. I also feed small quantities of grain and as many fresh foods as the season allows.

One way to make gathering easier and prolong the season of those good weeds is to harvest from an area for awhile and then mow it and let the second growth grow to a reasonable size. In the meantime, harvest from a different area.

Some plants, like dock and lamb's quarters are best harvested only in spring, but so many others can be cut time and time again: plantain, chicory, clover, dandelions, sow thistles, prickly lettuce... so many of the wonderful European invasives. :) Be sure to visit the Safe Plants for Rabbits sticky to get the Latin names in order to ensure an accurate identification.

safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

Now that the grasses have headed the rabbits seem less interested in them--same for burdock leaves as they get bigger and the woody things now that they’re fully leafed out. They’ll eat a little young goldenrod but it isn’t a favorite
because the protein content is lower and they have more lignin and are "woody". Plants nutritional value changes throughout the growing season and heat increases anti-nutrients like nitrates and tannins which cause greens to become bitter and less palitable, some can further reduce digestible protein by binding to the amino acids and making them unavailable to the rabbit.

Some things I’ve read say grass is the base food for rabbits.
Alfala is the base diet for "working" rabbits because ideally does and kits need 18% protein in their diet to maximize growth. House bunnies who tend to be small and spoiled with teats can do well on a grass hay diet which is usually around 12% protein.

Clover is a high protein forage (but can cause issues depending on the variety) which is why your rabbits are likely gorging on it - I suggest you switch to an alfalfa hay which should be around 16% protein

Thank you both! I'm in upstate NY, zone 4/5. I hear you about alfalfa hay and we'll see about starting a patch for next year, but for now we don't have much alfalfa growing and it's not a good area for buying quality hay of any type. I'll work on higher protein, though... we do have assorted clovers, vetch (Vicia villosa) and trefoil; I've also read that burdock (Arctium), which we have in abundance, has more protein than alfalfa... Can you recommend any good sites which give an idea of the protein content of different feeds at different growth stages?

The only data I've flound on Burdock is the root and it has less than 2% protein.

My rabbits won't eave eat young shoots and my other animals - horses, cows, sheep and even the goats won't touch it :shrug:

Hmm. Peter Bane's Permaculture Handbook states that burdock and comfrey leaves have a higher protein content than alfalfa. Our goats love burdock though they're less keen on comfrey; the rabbits ate burdock eagerly for a while and now are showing less enthusiasm. Maybe when we have new leaves coming again on the plants we cut off to dry for the goats the rabbits will eat those...

Latest posts

Back