Newbie here, and trouble with my bunny

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4378

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new here, and this is my first post. I got two bunny last week (March 8th), a Netherland Dwarf named Suppi (born: February 5, 2015) and a Lionhead named Kero-chan (born: January 24, 2015). They're really too young to be taken from their moms, but I asked the breeder if she'll allow me to get them at a later date, and she didn't approve.

Anyway, it's only been a week, so I don't know the norms of these bunnies yet. I'll just describe Kero-chan, since he's my concern. He likes cuddling, and is a deep sleeper. When I got them from the breeder, Kero-chan just slept through the entire ride, but I noticed that he has cool (not cold) ears. He also spends a lot of time eating, and drinks water a lot. I've been giving them Bene-bac everyday, and he loves it (Suppi hates it). He was the more active and curious one when we got home. But I noticed that his poop weren't shaped nicely, they were quite small and dry and uneven.

Three days ago, they were playing on the bed and Kero-chan fell down, I checked for injuries and signs of pain, and found none.

The problem started two days ago, I noticed that he's moving slowly and not that curious anymore. I checked his droppings, it was significantly less and his ears were cold. He was also grinding his teeth. I gave him a tummy massage, and he produced several big droppings after that. Yesterday morning, I checked his poop while he was eating and found pretty regular-sized (but dry) droppings, then I gave him another tummy massage during playtime, and more droppings came out during feeding time - this time, one of them is attached to a mucus with tiny gas bubbles. He looked much better.

We went to the vet after lunch, he palpated Kero-chan's abdomen and said that there's no cause for concern. I just need to make sure that they're properly hydrated, and that I should continue giving Bene-bac. So we went home.. but I still can't rest easy.

I feel like Kero-chan's in occasional pain. There are moments when he is alert and suddenly running, and has warm ears. But then there are moments when he's just huddled up, has cool ears. Today, he's drinking more. Well, I'm worried that he's drinking more than he's eating. On a brighter note, since yesterday, he's running more and becoming more active.

I really don't know if I'm being paranoid, but I'm worried sick. I want to bring them to the vet again. I'm thinking of asking the vet for analgesics and an x-ray. I want to bring them to the vet again today, but I don't want to stress them out since we've just been there yesterday..

Sorry for the long read, and hoping for your responses.

Thank you!

Here are some pics of them:
https://instagram.com/p/z_3Pk8s26t/?taken-by=wallflowerandpaper
https://instagram.com/p/0M8Wtqs2-k/?taken-by=wallflowerandpaper
https://instagram.com/p/z_3By8M26Y/?taken-by=wallflowerandpaper

They are very young. If it ever comes up again...you can find another breeder. If a breeder will not sell them at a good age, they may be cutting corners in other aspects of breeding as well. :(

It really sounds like you are doing what you need to though. You may consider offering more grass hay and old fashioned oatmeal instead of pellets. The soybean hulls often found in pellets(added for fiber) are harder on their systems then the soluble fiber that oatmeal contains. If you are worried about dehydration, consider giving some unflavored pedilyte instead of water. <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:30 pm -- <br /><br /> The most important thing is to keep stress as low as possible.

I can't imagine a breeder would force you to take them at such a young age, that's crazy! It's possible for babies to survive on solid food that young, but so dangerous for them. :(

As Zass said, it sounds like you are doing what you can for them. If they are eating, drinking and pooping a lot, that's what they should be doing.

I think I've seen others suggest old fashioned oars soaked in milk for very young kits, but I would like to see someone confirm that before you try it. Not sure what kind of milk they use, either. Best of luck for the little ones.

Five weeks is early..I don't move out kits until 8 weeks..That being said Zass gave you great info. give lots of grass hay and kitchen oatmeal (Quaker oat type brand doesn't matter dry) Don't give the kind of feed with the brightly colored pieces that is just junk food. Use a good quality pellet with enough protein.
Welcome to Rabbit Talk and best of luck with your new bunnies...Ask any question you want the people here are great and most of them are very knowledgeable. :D

I would also put a hot water bottle in their cage or heating pad under one corner of their cage (be certain they cannot nibble any part of it) being so young and also tiny breeds it is unlikely they can keep themselves warm and it should help if they are ill.

Dood":2toehero said:
I would also put a hot water bottle in their cage or heating pad under one corner of their cage (be certain they cannot nibble any part of it) being so young and also tiny breeds it is unlikely they can keep themselves warm and it should help if they are ill.

I was going to mention that as well, I thought about it after I signed off. Babies that young are used to still having their litter mates to keep them warm.

Dood":34392epj said:
I just looked at the pictures you posted - I think they might be younger than 6 weeks old :(

I agree, Dood. They look like 3 or 4 week old babies.
Honestly, if there were any way to get these kits fostered with another doe, it would be their best chance.

Also (edited to add) this is also why I suggested the wet oats. I don't want to suggest something that could harm them though, so see if someone with more experience in raising little babies has input on that. I'm sure they were not weaned when you took them home, or even close to it.

That being said, I'm not sure it would help to pour a bunch of money into vet bills, x-rays and such. The hard fact is, these babies will be lucky to survive but their best chance is for you to do what you're doing (unless you can find a foster doe for them). I would hate to see you invest a lot of money and still lose one or both of them.

This is a great group though. You couldn't find a better place for advice. These folks probably know more than your vet does. Best of luck, we're here to help if we can.

Those babies are far too young to be sold, I am shocked the breeder would insist you take them. I personally don't wean before 6 weeks old and usually don't sell until 10 weeks old, and never before 8 weeks.

I would make sure they have lots of grass hay to nibble, I wouldn't feed much in the way of pellets. At this young age they are transitioning from Momma's milk to solid food and that changes the flora in their gut, and they can be prone to diarrhea and bloating. A probiotic like Benebac might help keep their guts populated with the right bacteria. I would also suggest keep them quiet in their cage and away from stress (other pets, loud noises, handling)

Please don't take this the wrong way but don't be surprised if you lose them, baby rabbits are surprisingly delicate.

Weaning alone is tough on a bunny's digestive system. Many breeders lose young rabbits even when they're weaned at the correct time (roughly 8 weeks). Your bunnies have been taken away from their mothers far too early, unfortunately. Weaning, being separated from its littermates, and moving to a new place are all stressful to any bunny, but especially a very young one.

You're doing the right thing with the Bene-bac, but as others have said, make sure to offer good Timothy hay. There's not really much a vet could do to help, so don't stress too much. I've seen bunnies in worse condition than yours, even when still nursing its mom. It sounds like your bunny's digestive system is still in working order, although you should keep a close eye on it (as I know you are doing) to make sure nothing worse does happen.

Also, keep in mind that young bunnies do sleep quite a bit - like puppies. They're growing very quickly and need their rest! Relaxed sleeping is normal; listless bunnies hunched in the corner with half-shut eyes are not.

The breeder should not have insisted you take such young bunnies. That said, many of us have had to hand-raise bunnies at an even earlier age. I once had one that was weaned at 17 days. It did fine on kitchen oatmeal (the large flake, old-fashioned kind), hay and water. At first I offered it oatmeal soaked with warm water and just a pinch of brown sugar as an attractant, but in a very few days it was eating the oatmeal dry. You can offer both and also add a few pellets to the mix, but don't overdo it. Gradually increase the amount of pellets after the rabbit has recovered.

Do not use cow's milk for rabbits. Goat's milk is far better, but at this age they do not have to have milk at all.

Good luck. :clover: :clover: :clover: You seem to have a good feel for the problems these rabbits face. Do your best (I know you will) but don't beat yourself up if they don't make it.

Latest posts

Back