New Zealands

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
Is there any dressout difference between a NZ White and a NZ Red? I think we're going to have to start our meat stock from the ground up again since the local rabbits seem less than healthy. In the beginning of September I'm taking a drive up to Oregon to get some rabbits from Oceanrose (YAY!!! :pinkbunny:) and figured that I'd take a look at the fair for some new stock.

I've really fallen in love with Big Red's color, but I like the idea of having some whites around so that the fur can be dyed at a later date.

I'm also toying around with the idea of looking for some Cali's but I'm not sure yet.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say, yes.

The NZW's have been bred for years with
'meat-to-bone' ratio in the forefront.

The NZR's...I don't believe...have.
I may be wrong...just my opinion.

grumpy.

From what I understand, the white ones raised for meat from meat lines are bigger than the colored ones.

I have lots of the different colors and brokens and, yes, all of mine are smaller than the rew. Senior weight they are all close with the reds being the smallest. And the reds are jumpy and skittish too. Am working really hard to breed that out of mine but I think its the same as many things, people are breeding for color and NOT temperament.

Bought four beautiful red doe kits to add to my program and got rid of them, psyco things that they were. One of htem jumped over my arm when I went to catch her and, as she hit the top of her arch, I saw her glance down to see where my arm was and slash back with all four feet, catching me inside my elbow and gashing it quite badly.

TOTALLY deliberate!

So be careful when getting NZ reds that the breeder works for TEMPERMENT FIRST and then color!

But my broken blues and blacks, they are snuggle bunnies!

GBov":hc7hru6h said:
One of htem jumped over my arm when I went to catch her and, as she hit the top of her arch, I saw her glance down to see where my arm was and slash back with all four feet, catching me inside my elbow and gashing it quite badly.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So... how did she taste? :dinner:

MamaSheepdog":3bpwy3x7 said:
GBov":3bpwy3x7 said:
One of htem jumped over my arm when I went to catch her and, as she hit the top of her arch, I saw her glance down to see where my arm was and slash back with all four feet, catching me inside my elbow and gashing it quite badly.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So... how did she taste? :dinner:

Delicious!

well dang reds is what im trying to raise. The buck is defently skiddish. The doe so far has pretty good temperment. She is 14 wks. The lil does mother was harliquin and the grandma was white. Father was a red. So maybe she has some good traits from her mom and grandma.

I got totally unexpected reds when I bred a black and a steel. The two does don't have the best color but its a good strong red so am going to cross them to the skittish buck and hopefull get the good size and temperament of the does and the rich color of the buck.

But other than my two unexpected red does, all the reds I have met so far have been a bit crazy.

Blues, blacks, and brokens seem to be fine. Wonder whats up with that?

Interesting topic! I have whites but thought about getting a red. After reading this I think I'll stick to whites!

GBov":pliev51c said:
I got totally unexpected reds when I bred a black and a steel. The two does don't have the best color but its a good strong red so am going to cross them to the skittish buck and hopefull get the good size and temperament of the does and the rich color of the buck.

But other than my two unexpected red does, all the reds I have met so far have been a bit crazy.

Blues, blacks, and brokens seem to be fine. Wonder whats up with that?

Well you know them red heads have tempers don't you?

I wonder if the stereotype passes to animals too?

paintrider89":2d2t7lfj said:

:lol: :lol: IDK!

I guess I'll count my blessings, I traded a cali doe for a pair of NZW/NZR crosses and they are turning out much prettier than I thought they would and they're sweet! :) They should be ready to breed soon.

a few months ago I finally got a red doe and a broken red doe to get some color in the herd. The broken red is huge and she has a great disposition, loves to be cuddled. The red is a bit smaller and is shy, but my daughter is picking her up every day and starting to warm up.

AmysMacdog":sum7xyw2 said:
paintrider89":sum7xyw2 said:

:lol: :lol: IDK!

I guess I'll count my blessings, I traded a cali doe for a pair of NZW/NZR crosses and they are turning out much prettier than I thought they would and they're sweet! :) They should be ready to breed soon.

You will have to show off the kits when you breed them.

Back