New Zealands New colors 2

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild1slilfarm

Reaction score
Ok, so im also wanting to get Chocolate i had one chocolate kit appear, lived to about 8 weeks and then started to hold its head side ways and by the end of the week it could hold its head up vet said in was genetic, so i feed the eintire line to the dogs, go figure.
Any ideas where to restart the chocolate was from a white buck and white doe? the rest of the litter was Chinchilla, agouti, opal and fawn? no white any where??? ;) :shock:

If you purchase, or decide to use the demo, The Rabbit Register by Evans Software you'll be able to determine (or at least receive an estimate) of which pair would create a certain color.

With my herd for example, it's saying my red buck and lilac doe have the greatest chance of producing a chocolate in all of my herd. I don't think it takes the sire and dam into consideration though. The Software probably thinks my lilac doe is a dilute of chocolate (since it generally is) but really their out of a black sire and white doe.

What is the purpose of breeding your rabbits? Many people 'destroy' their rabbits when focusing too much on color. If you're breeding for meat, I'd be more concerned about meat-to-bone ratio, litter-size and average number of survived kits than color.

First chocolate will NEVER come out of two white or REW's no way no how. REW's lack melanin and pass that on to their offspring,two rews are both "cc" so there is no normal producing colour gene there. They DO however CARRY all the same genetic colour info as other rabbits. Second "head tilt" is NOT genetic, it is caused by EC or small parasites residing in the rabbit; if they travel to the brain or brainstem then they get the head tilt which untreated progresses to 'rolling" and convulsions and death. It can be passed to other rabbits via the urine etc. and can be treated but is not always worth it. Next, Lilac IS a dilute of chcolate not matter what colour the parents are. Both parents MUST be carrying a chocolate gene and a dilute gene to throw a lilac. Evans give probabilities for
all recessives that are possible to be hidden in the particular animal you are inputting into the software. This is where they don't take into account whats exactly back in the pedigree. They do however work on what the parents are to give probs. and a lilac (dilute) and a red (dense or full colour) have a good possibility of throwing chocolate. Why? One; red can be chocolate based itself or it can be black based with one hidden chocolate gene. While red is non-extension Agouti it can carry the recessive self gene as well, so voila! chocolate!

As for two apparently white rabbits having a coloured litter one can only guess that one of the whites is actually a frosty. A frosty is a red rabbit with the chinchilla gene expressed. So red being agouti and having fawn and chin show up in the litter then that is the likely cause. Chin genes are part of the C-series genes and are also a form of albinism that just suppresses all red/tan production and leaves black alone.

I disagree with your vet,head tilt is not genetic.it is contagious.Barbie Browns website is very good.

Latest posts

Back