New Zealand New Colors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild1slilfarm

Reaction score
So i am trying to get Steel New Zealands, all i have been able to find is the Gold tipped, any ideas how to get Silver tipped, i have a few steels apering in litters now wich i am very greatful for but most of the are either gold tipped or are lacking in the color department (AK, the tipping doesn't cover body), i have talked to a couple people about the steels and all i pretty much got from them was that they wanted to sell me a rabbit.
Any idea's? :bunnyhop:

My black buck (now deceased) and white doe produced two steel kits in two different litters. Other than that, I have no idea.

wild1slilfarm":3f13vdo5 said:
ok, thats good news i have two Chinchilla does that will be able to bred in august, I know they are steel carries.

Sorry, wild1slilfarm. If they are showing chinchilla color, they cannot be steel carriers. Steel is dominant. EsE gives you the steel pattern, whether in gold or silver. Es with anything else gives you a solid color, even if the rabbit has the chin gene, too. If your does are showing the chinchilla pattern, they have to be E_, and not Es_.

But breeding them to a steel-carrying buck might still give you silver tipped steels. If the Buck is CC you won't see it. If he's carrying anything else on the C gene (chin, seal, himi, or rew), you can.

I'd like to get silver-tipped steels, too, so I was pleased to discover my new solid blue buck is a steel carrier. He's Ese, so he throws steels (when the doe has an E to share) even though there isn't a trace of ticking on him.

Back