New Zealand Genetics...Black to Red??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverDesertRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, I need some genetic experts over here.

I have a friend who is getting started in New Zealands, and she is wondering what would happen if you bred a Black to a Red. I know breeding a White to a Red will give you Coppers, Agouties, some Reds and Whites, and some Brokens (if they are in the background). And breeding a White to a Black will give you mostly Blues. I'm thinking Black to Red will give you Steels?

Let me know if you have a better answer than what i can come up with!!

~SDR

SilverDesertRabbitry said:
Ok, I need some genetic experts over here.

I have a friend who is getting started in New Zealands, and she is wondering what would happen if you bred a Black to a Red. I know breeding a White to a Red will give you Coppers, Agouties, some Reds and Whites, and some Brokens (if they are in the background). And breeding a White to a Black will give you mostly Blues. I'm thinking Black to Red will give you Steels?

Let me know if you have a better answer than what i can come up with!!

~SDR[/quote

Actually, breeding a REW to a Black can result in anything, not just blue. To get blue, both parents would have to BE or CARRY for dilute, since blue is the dilute of black. Usually, pairing those two colors will result in Black or Chestnut. It depends on what the REW is underneath the white. Think of it like a white blanket, covering the color beneath. Breeding different colors of NZ together will result in a lot of unshowable colors. Most breeders recommend breeding REW to REW, Red to Red and Black or Blue with only Black or Blue. If you don't care about the colors being showable or not, then it doesn't matter. You will only get brokens in one of the parents is broken. The gene for Broken cannot be carried but not expressed. If it is there, it will be expressed. According to Rabbit Register, if you breed Black with Red, you will possibly get the following, in descending order of appearance:
Chestnut (Black)/Castor/Copper/ (Brown) Gray
Black
Amber / Cinnamon / Agouti - Chocolate
Sandy
Copper
Golden
Orange/Gold/Golden/Fawn

I don't think all those color names are correct for NZ. A white has any color underneath. It has been explained as putting a white sheet or paint over the normal color so when you cross them to other colors you can really get anything. Most often the white is chestnut, steel, or black and produces those. Red with black will usually give you chestnut and next most common more black or red. If they have dilute you can get all sorts of other things. Chocolates or cinnamon/amber would be highly unlikely. There are very few meat breeds that have chocolate.

akane":35ixjvwf said:
I don't think all those color names are correct for NZ. A white has any color underneath. It has been explained as putting a white sheet or paint over the normal color so when you cross them to other colors you can really get anything. Most often the white is chestnut, steel, or black and produces those. Red with black will usually give you chestnut and next most common more black or red. If they have dilute you can get all sorts of other things. Chocolates or cinnamon/amber would be highly unlikely. There are very few meat breeds that have chocolate.

:) That is why I said *possibly* :)

If you include every possible color then the list would be quite long. Then you'd have to consider what if both rabbits had a sable gene or himi genes or harlequin... They are maybe a 1% chance. You'd be more likely to get a himi from NZ since cali are often crossed in to them and can combine with REW than a chocolate based anything and himi didn't even show up from whatever you are using. That list also is most definitely not in the most likely order. A red/fawn/orange is more likely from a black x red large breed cross than chocolate/cinnamon/amber. It doesn't list tort when that would be quite easy to get if the black carries e and the red carries self. Once again more likely than chocolates and it's not even on there.

Latest posts

Back