New Zealand Colors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SA Farm

Reaction score
So, I have an extremely rudimentary knowledge of colors. Basically, I'm learning as I go and reading what I can on the subject, so I thought it would be interesting to start a thread and update it with what I get out of my variety of NZ colors.
Now, what I want to eventually get is a variety of solid and broken reds, blues, and blacks with some steel and REW thrown in for good measure.
What I have is:
BUCKS: REW, Steel, and Broken Blue
DOES: REW, Gold-tipped Steel, 2 Reds, and a Black.

I do know that red is recessive and I'm going to have to keep back a chestnut buck (probably from my steel) to breed to them to get more reds, but I'm wondering what I would get if I breed the broken blue or the steel to one?
Any suggestions/comments/speculation would be appreciated :cool:

red NZ actually have two recessives (non extension and wideband) so it may take a few generations to get the genes into your kits.

Gold Tip Steel (GTS) x Broken Blue will mostly create more GTS and broken GTS and chestnuts and broken chesnuts.

If the steel carries self then you could get black and broken black, or if the steel carries dilute you could get steeled and non-steeled opal and broken opal

SAF, as I am also venturing into the land of colored New Zealands, could I possibly ask you where you are located? Maybe we could end up swapping some colored buns around come spring. :)

Thanks, Dood :) I just bred my REW doe to my Steel buck, so I'll be interested to see what comes from that crossing and I'll hopefully see what he's carrying. She's pretty much only got REW in her background, so I suspect any color will come from him as any color would probably be more gone than just hidden, but we'll see. Her two previous litters only got color that obviously came from my buck, so we'll see :)

Sorry, Marinea, I'm in Ontario, Canada :(

SA Farm":18gemgy3 said:
Thanks, Dood :) I just bred my REW doe to my Steel buck, so I'll be interested to see what comes from that crossing and I'll hopefully see what he's carrying. She's pretty much only got REW in her background, so I suspect any color will come from him as any color would probably be more gone than just hidden, but we'll see. Her two previous litters only got color that obviously came from my buck, so we'll see :)

:(

Even if your pedigrees contain nothing but rew, each and every rabbit on there had a full color genotype, and was passing invisible traits onto their offspring.

Rew is best described as a white sheet thrown over a rabbit, hiding it's true colors. If you pair two rews, all you will ever get is more rew, so it can seem like they don't carry other colors, but they do. Those colors can only come out when they are crossed with something other than rew.

I knew that REW hid colors, but I always assumed that after enough generations passed, the colors could/would potentially be bred out? I suppose since you can't see or tell if there are colors until bred to a colored, it's rather hard to say...You'd think that if there were colors and you bred two REWs with similar colors in their genetic makeup, they would throw a colored kit, but the chances of that must be incredibly slim... :hmm:

Yes - very slim

There are over 14 known colour or pattern modifying loci in rabbits and several more coat modifying ones :)

Although REW is the most recessive colour on the C-locus, instead of working with other loci (like a dilute and light shaded creating a blue sable rabbit) it hides ALL other colours because this particular recessive gene completely prevents the production of pigment.

The himilayan (red eyes, white but with coloured ears, nose, feet and tail) also prevents pigment but only at certain temperatures, colder areas of the rabbit will be pigmented while warmer areas will lack color :)

The blue eyed white is the final gene that hides a rabbits "true" colour with white.

Well, I found a breeder that's not too far away who has imported some Reds from the states. He's agreed to stud his gorgeous brick red buck to one of my does once she's old enough :clap:
I also picked up a broken red kit, though she's a little on the pale side, so I'll have another blood-line to use - always good.

I was also mistaken, the broken blue is a doe, not a buck :oops:
So my list is actually- Does: broken blue, broken red, 2 red, GTS, steel, and REW
Bucks: steel and REW

Yes, I've come to realize that my 'black' doe is actually a steel in disguise, so there goes my plans for blacks :roll:
I know I could and probably will still have blacks/broken blacks in the future, but I'd prefer to concentrate on my blue and red lines first :)

Red can carry black, and blue is the dilute of black, so pairing with the REW buck can give you black kits, depending on what he really is.

Latest posts

Back