New Tricks For This Old Dog

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3mina

Reaction score
I know I've mentioned before that I have had no luck breeding in cold weather. I'm now wondering if that's going to possibly change. I had two does ready to breed Dec 27, one indoors and one outside so I crossed every crossable appendage and bred these two.

So far the outside girl is acting normal but the indoor girl came up snotty a couple of days ago so she's gone :angry:
but that's not a total loss, she gave me two nice doelings and a buckling from her first litter that are nicer than she was at the same age.
My newest buck has decided I'm the best thing since fodder, every time he sees me he gets a new girl, he's starting to greet me when I come in now.

When I was at the rabbitry on Saturday, two more of my does were ready so I bred them as well. If all goes very well, I will have litters before March. Now come the hard part, the waiting. It is made a bit easier by the fact I have a not quite four hour drive between me and them, I can't constantly harass them. :popcorn:

My mentor has been amazing this winter, I have the pick of her bucks for my does and she has put all my pedigrees in a database for me also. This is on top of caring for my herd so I didn't have to sell out this fall. I have zero clue how I got so lucky but I am incredibly grateful for this lovely person.

It's just going from Edmonton to Cochrane, just north of Calgary. It's like going from Toronto to Cornwall. :D

In order to make sure everything is fair, anything my mentor sells from my litters goes to her and she sets the prices too. Of course, any of my bucks she wishes to use are available as well.

I'm stepping up my record keeping as well as registering more of my stock, as well since my mentor has set herself the goal of having a red, white, and blue seal herd. <br /><br /> -- Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 pm -- <br /><br /> I am over the moon! :happy2: :happy2:

The doe I bred Dec 27th kindled on Jan 27th. She had 13!! An excellent nest, lots of fur and my best girl is doing great.

Back