New to Rabbits, & first litter fail.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hymay":nodi0tga said:
I think redirecting myself onto a new batch of pure cute will be the only way I'll be able to handle dealing with the realities that lie ahead in meat rabbitry.
That's the key, right there! Though, right before they are big enough for freezer camp, they lose the super-cute looks and start looking a bit more grown up. That does make it easier. But having another batch of babies to coo over is huge.

Glad it looks like the doe's poops are normalizing. I've never seen them get that big. Hopefully, it was just a short-lived digestive episode.

BOSS can be bought at Walmart, grocery stores, and hardware stores. Look for it with the bird seed. Prices vary greatly, so shop around. You won't need a humongous bag of it, because it's a supplementary thing. You feed shells and all. Some of the natural feeders could tell you more; I believe they use it to help bring condition back up, as a good source of fats, fiber, and nutrients.

Hymay":36eti43u said:
I have come up with an odd question or two. The first doe, currently nursing, seems to have developed very large pellets. Not that I keep track, but I noticed many were too big to go through the wire without help.. then noticed they were double the size of the doe beside her. Is this normalish from eating so much more? Or should I say, is it normal for a working mother, or would it more likely be my care and feeding?

We have a few does that always have larger poop than normal when they have a litter. I assume it's from eating more. It returns to normal after the litter is weaned.

Good to know its not a unique thing. I was guessing just a larger amount of eating. Or the possibility of the supplements. She didn't seem to mind them. No straining that I could notice, other than the usual bunny look of intense contemplation over "Am I nibbling while I am pooping, or pooping while I am nibbling?" The great question of life all buns must answer.

Hymay":3329f1s6 said:
Good to know its not a unique thing. I was guessing just a larger amount of eating. Or the possibility of the supplements. She didn't seem to mind them. No straining that I could notice, other than the usual bunny look of intense contemplation over "Am I nibbling while I am pooping, or pooping while I am nibbling?" The great question of life all buns must answer.

:lol: Too funny! What part of N.Idaho? I have family near Sand Point/Clark Fork, Idaho...love it up there....

Right about the same area, only a little south. I have a house in Post Falls, right next to CDA and my father's property in Athol, about halfway btwn here and Sandpoint. Love the area, even with friends in other states, I just can't pry myself away.

Hymay":7qggmc2w said:
Right about the same area, only a little south. I have a house in Post Falls, right next to CDA and my father's property in Athol, about halfway btwn here and Sandpoint. Love the area, even with friends in other states, I just can't pry myself away.

Yup, I know exactly where those are...we really want to find some property within driving distance of Lake Pend O'Reille.

OneAcreFarm":1uyphxto said:
Hymay":1uyphxto said:

Yup, I know exactly where those are...we really want to find some property within driving distance of Lake Pend O'Reille.

You can pretty much throw a stone anywhere around here and come up with that =). Or driving distance to half a dozen other lakes. Guess it all depends how close you want to be to the "citified" shopping, or if you prefer to be more rural. From PF, I can be to the south tip of Pend in about 30 min, or about 50 to 60 to get to Sandpoint/N tip. OR, I'm 5-10 min from lake CDA, and about 20 from Hayden lake. What type of property are ya looking for? & what is your snow tolerance

Latest posts

Back