New to rabbits and rabbit talk for color re

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeakylax5

Reaction score
Hello!

My daughter wanted a rabbit. We were going to just get one, but then we read about the rabbit manure for our homestead. So now we are going to breed them for fun (pets) and manure. We won't show them but are looking for advice on color breeding.

Our 3 plants
1) Breed a lop mix (broken light brown) to a magpie harqeliun
2) Breed velveteen lops
3) Breed a mini rex buck to a full rex doe

I will post my questions to the right thread. I don't have any advice to offer right now since I am still so new :) But I appreciate any experience shared

:) Lynn

before starting to breed for pets consider what you will do when eventually you get some that won't sell.

also, when you do breed, DO NOT breed mutts. You will be further ahead breeding rabbits that look size wise and body shape wise that actually look like a particular breed. It is easier to sell purebred, or rabbits that look like they could be purebred.

thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

Would you consider this a mutt breed. They may both have the chinchilla gene, so I thought it may be okay.

Minilop/english lop mix buck mother is broken black and father is a frosty
magpie harqeliun doe has 2 black magpie parents (but one sibling with chocolate)
teddyandcloud.jpeg

thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

Would you consider this a mutt breed. They may both have the chinchilla gene, so I thought it may be okay.

Minilop/english lop mix buck mother is broken black and father is a frosty
magpie harqeliun doe has 2 black magpie parents (but one sibling with chocolate)
View attachment 42274
Yes they're mutts because they're not purebred

Another thing to consider when breeding, not every rabbit will be friendly. I've had a couple of grow outs that came from friendly parents, and they have friendly litter mates but they have no interest in human interaction and can inflict wounds when they are scared. I wouldn't feel good about selling one of these rabbits as a pet. It's possible to produce an undesirable rabbit. Be prepared to deal with that.

Latest posts

Back