New Rabbits not eating pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I figured they wouldn't eat for a couple of days after I brought them home - I offered pellets to them but also made sure they had plenty of hay and water (of course). It's been 5 days now and three of the five still have not touched the pellets. They are eating hay. I know I'm not feeding the same brand of pellets they were on and the possibility of getting that brand is slim. There may be a feed store about 40 miles away that will have it but I haven't been able to get in touch with them or drive over.

Today I gave everyone a bit of oatmeal mixed with the pellets but they just ate the oats nothing more.

Any tips on getting them interested? Or is this just a waiting game?

I had some that were fed an unknown brand of pellets and they didn't want the Manna Pro I offered. It turned out to be a waiting game and they eventually started eating the pellets.

Until they did, I fed them alfalfa hay and offered pellets. They love the Manna Pro now.

We had that problem when we brought our rabbits home even with the same brand of pellets bought at the same place. We picked blackberry leaves for them and I thinked that helped some. The rabbits came from a place less than 20 miles from ours so we felt comfortable giving them some honey that we got from our own hives. I bought some small glass bowls at the thrift store, put oats and pellets in them and a single small drop of honey. It helped to get them eating. I went to the health food store and bought some dried papaya that didn't have any sugar added to it and they liked it too. We switched the to Manna Pro pellets soon after. Black oil sunflower seeds were suggested by this forum and we gave some of them too as well as rolled barley, dehulled barley, oat groats, wheatberries, dried strawberries, and a bit of alfalfa hay.

Latest posts

Back