New Rabbit Precautions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the does you are getting are mature animals, I wouldn't be as worried about them dying from stress, but I still wouldn't bother them much for the first week or two especially since they will be bred when you get them. Hard as it is to keep from interacting a lot with new pets, I would just let them stay in their cage(s) and get used to their new surroundings rather than taking them out for playtime. You might want to give them a box to hide in as well.

Make sure to get a couple of pounds of the pellets the breeder feeds so you can transition them slowly to their new diet. Ask the breeder if they are used to having any treats, and if so what kind and how much.

When I take my rabbits to shows I always bring my own water. Some rabbits are picky and don't want to drink water that smells different, and if they do the minerals or chemicals in the new water source may not agree with them. Given your bad experience last time, I would err on the side of caution and get some water from the breeder too. Just bring a few empty soda bottles along to fill up so you can transition them over to your water slowly.

Keep them in a similar environment to what they are used to. If they were outdoors, keep them outside. If they were indoors, keep them inside.

I hope you have a great experience this time, and they settle in quickly and without any problems! :good-luck:

I'd like to add (to what MSD has already recommended) that you write down the breeder's instructions when you pick up the "girls." Write them for yourself--accept her handout, if she has one--because the act of handwriting helps trigger the memory when we need the info later. :)

I do this all the time when receiving multi-step instructions on a new procedure or a list of things to get done in a short time. It really helps, even if I don't ever need to look at the list again; I've written it down, so I remember it better.

Best wishes for these two does. :D

Pop them in a clean cage with only hay for a day or 2 before introducing pellets if I didn't get feed with them. If I got feed with them mix the pellets with mine 50/50 and feed it. No greens, no treats, maybe some leafless branches or pinecones and minimal handling for the first week or 2. Slowly add in other things I want to feed. If at any point they show GI problems then switch to old fashioned oatmeal and hay(preferably grass). Attempt breeding after a month if they are mature enough and there are no health issues.

Latest posts

Back