New Questions!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
So I'm planning on germinating whole seeds for my rabbits, as per MaggieJ's suggestion, but I'm curious as to what you all would suggest to go into the mix?

I'll still have some forage until about early November, which includes mimosa that has good protein, but I want to go ahead and start a balance going for the brief Alabama winter.

Wheat is the cheapest and thus will be my base (don't judge me lol), but it's a seed store and they have loads of options according to the flier that introduced me to the fact the store exists.

My rabbits seem to do best on 30% fiber and 15% protein, from what I saw when I lucked out and got two pounds of Sherwood Forest pellets for free. Best food I've used, but waaaay too expensive. Hoping to mimic the luxurious coat and great muscle my MR buck had then, as I'm phasing out of Purina Rabbit Chow.

So, suggestions, anyone?

Why judge you on the wheat? That is my base grain as well and a very good one at that.

What other options do you have from that feed store? If you can list the choices, we can perhaps help work up a formula...

why not try to mimic the sherwood forest food? alfalfa base, oats and oil seeds (assuming boss and flax)?

@Frecs: Because I'm being cheap. Anyway, okay. :) The other main advertised things that would still work within my price range (cheaper than Purina Rabbit Chow) : oats, grain rye, winter peas, and rape. They also have garden seed, so I presume if that's not terrible expensive, I might be able to get some seeds from basic garden plants. :)

@Danger: Unfortunately, I have nowhere to get hay except big box stores, unless this seed store carries it. Or I guess there might be alfalfa seeds? Idk. I would if I could! Might actually be cheaper, come to thing of it, but I'm unsure if I could get a ride out to agricultural areas (I need to stop having pseudo-seizures for no good darn reason so I can drive).<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:46 am __________<br /><br />Some people deliver hay! Wow. Okay. XD Now to see if I can store hay anywhere. How big is a square bale of hay? Like in feet? Might be a good way to cut down on costs and provide my rabbits with what their digestive tracks need now that the prairie grass hay that was growing is dying.

Cspr":1k8db0a0 said:
@Frecs: Because I'm being cheap. Anyway, okay. :) The other main advertised things that would still work within my price range (cheaper than Purina Rabbit Chow) : oats, grain rye, winter peas, and rape. They also have garden seed, so I presume if that's not terrible expensive, I might be able to get some seeds from basic garden plants. :)

@Danger: Unfortunately, I have nowhere to get hay except big box stores, unless this seed store carries it. Or I guess there might be alfalfa seeds? Idk. I would if I could! Might actually be cheaper, come to thing of it, but I'm unsure if I could get a ride out to agricultural areas (I need to stop having pseudo-seizures for no good darn reason so I can drive).

__________ Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:46 am __________

Some people deliver hay! Wow. Okay. XD Now to see if I can store hay anywhere. How big is a square bale of hay? Like in feet? Might be a good way to cut down on costs and provide my rabbits with what their digestive tracks need now that the prairie grass hay that was growing is dying.

1. NEVER use garden seed for sprouting. You can, however, use them to grow forage.
2. I would definitely do the oats (if whole/with hull) and I believe the grain rye would be good, also.
3. Winter peas and rape -- plant those for winter forage.
4. Check and see if they have bags of "Deer Plot Seed" -- there are numerous combinations of seeds so read what is included but in general they make for great high protein forage food (the stated purpose is to grow big racks on deer/bucks which require lots of protein what what I understand). Commonly these mixes include clovers, rape, "brassicas", radish, ryegrass...
5. a square bale is roughly 3ftx2ftx2ft. Be sure they aren't talking about round bales which are HUGE. Also, ask if it is "horse quality" or "cow quality" hay. You want "horse quality" as the cow quality is likely moldy. Also ask if it is 1st/2nd/3rd cut hay. If I remember correctly, the protein goes down with each successive cut.

1. Oh wow. Okay. Thanks.
2. Gotcha.
3. Oh, so they grow in winter? Cool. Might have to get a little once my mimosa crop is done.
4. They do, but it's more expensive than the Purina Rabbit Chow. Buck Busters has oats, wheat, grain rye, winter peas, and rape. I suppose I could start with the wheat, oats, and grain rye and supplement with mimosa and then start growing the winter peas and rape for forage after the mimosa dies off!
5. Thanks for the tip!

Cspr":23n2gu1g said:
1. Oh wow. Okay. Thanks.
2. Gotcha.
3. Oh, so they grow in winter? Cool. Might have to get a little once my mimosa crop is done.
4. They do, but it's more expensive than the Purina Rabbit Chow. Buck Busters has oats, wheat, grain rye, winter peas, and rape. I suppose I could start with the wheat, oats, and grain rye and supplement with mimosa and then start growing the winter peas and rape for forage after the mimosa dies off!
5. Thanks for the tip!

3. yep, here in the south, we can grow a winter crop of "cool season" vegetables/greens. In fact, around here, we don't start harvesting our collards, mustards, and other brassicas until after a "good" frost. They taste better then. It takes a really hard frost (which we rarely have until January or February) to fill the stuff off.
4. Start your greens now so they will be ready when the mimosa is gone.

Nice to know. :D I ended up just getting stuff to germinate, but I might go back for winter peas and brassicas later on. I'm not so sure because I don't have much space right now, just about a king sized bed of a garden that's a bit overrun with spurge and I need a new hose. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back