New pregnant doe not eating.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
I got a new doe.She is bred. I'm a little concerned cause she won't eat pellets. The pellets her owner gave me were wet and moldy... So I'm using purina show chow. She is eating hay and some apple. But she is loosing some weight. I wouldn't be worried except she is pregnat.Any tips on getting her to eat.

i would start supplementing with some grains...mix 'em in with the pellets if you must. you could also feed a higher protein hay.

ladysown":2r3xve48 said:
i would start supplementing with some grains...mix 'em in with the pellets if you must. you could also feed a higher protein hay.
I fed some oats, what grains do you feed and where do you get them? And like alfalfa?

Try some Rolled Oats, Boss [Black Oil Sunflower seeds]
I would also purchase a good quality pelleted Rabbit feed.
Greens are not going to put Weight on, try to get a 17 or 18%
Rabbit feed. The higher the percentage the less they need to
eat for the necessary amount of nutrition.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Buns can be pretty particular about pellets, and I have had several that didn't eat after the move. But I've never seen one refuse oats and BOSS.

skysthelimit":2wpu91hs said:
Buns can be pretty particular about pellets, and I have had several that didn't eat after the move. But I've never seen one refuse oats and BOSS.
I'll try some boss. Can you just get thoughs at a general food store like Walmart or Kmart? Ill check when I'm at the store today!

__________ Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:18 am __________

But now this question has another question I've been wanting to ask brewing. What pellets do you use? I have Hurd that purina kill small rabbits so, after I finish this bag, I think I'm gonna switch.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:08 am __________<br /><br />P.s. she still is not eat oats or pellets

Some rabbits are fussy about changing the brand of pellets they are used to. Try to find out what brand she was raised on if you can. If it is within a week or so of her due date light eating or even not eating at all the last couple of days is normal.

Check her water source. If rabbits aren't drinking, they wont eat. Try giving her a crock in case she is having trouble with the water bottle.

Parsley is an appetite stimulant, so you might give her a couple of sprigs a few times a day. If she isn't used to greens, it would be a good idea to also give her some strawberry leaves or the canes and leaves from raspberry or blackberry because they are good for diarrhea, so may prevent loose stools. The weeds Shepherd's Purse and Plantain are also good if you have any growing in your yard.

cowgirl9768":3uwdy70y said:
I'll try some boss. Can you just get thoughs at a general food store like Walmart or Kmart?

Yes. It will be sold for wild birds. Is she a wool breed? She may have wool block. Wild bird seed will help her pass compacted wool, so you should buy a small bag of that as well.

Here is a thread with more info on wool block and treatment options:

wool-block-info-t13801.html

What pellets do you use? I have Hurd that purina kill small rabbits so, after I finish this bag, I think I'm gonna switch.

I haven't heard that Purina specifically kills small rabbits. It is usually a bad production run that causes problems, and that can happen with any processed foods, whether for people or animals.

I no longer feed pellets for that reason, but when I did, I used Purina Show or Manna Pro "Sho" formula.

P.s. she still is not eat oats or pellets

MaggieJ will sometimes mix a bit of Molasses and warm water with her grains to entice rabbits to eat and improve their condition. You don't want the grain to be wet- if it is, just add more grain until it feels dry. Old fashioned kitchen oatmeal might be more palatable than whole or rolled oats.

hoodat":3s8a2o94 said:
Some rabbits are fussy about changing the brand of pellets they are used to. Try to find out what brand she was raised on if you can. If it is within a week or so of her due date light eating or even not eating at all the last couple of days is normal.
She used a store brand only found about three hours away :-/<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":3s8a2o94 said:
Check her water source. If rabbits aren't drinking, they wont eat. Try giving her a crock in case she is having trouble with the water bottle.

I did, she drank the entire thing last night. Gave her more this morning.

Parsley is an appetite stimulant, so you might give her a couple of sprigs a few times a day. If she isn't used to greens, it would be a good idea to also give her some strawberry leaves or the canes and leaves from raspberry or blackberry because they are good for diarrhea, so may prevent loose stools. The weeds Shepherd's Purse and Plantain are also good if you have any growing in your yard.
Okay I'll try it!

Yes. It will be sold for wild birds. Is she a wool breed? She may have wool block. Wild bird seed will help her pass compacted wool, so you should buy a small bag of that as well.
Yes she is a lionhead... I'll try that.

I'll also try the warm water molasses.

Opulent eat seed, or calf mana, but I found the trick. She eats apples. She loves them! So I ur her pellets in a food proccesser, mixed it with apple sauce, and she is eating like a champ! I just hope any potential kits were not harmed the first few days of just eating hay...

Latest posts

Back