New Popples

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper10

Reaction score
Great News :D .
Yesterday morning Dutchie had 8 kits, one was dead but she has 7 healthy kits. She was the dutch doe that had 7 stillborn kits about a month ago. I was worried about her because I had bought her at a auction and hoped I didn't buy someone else s problem. I bred her right back afterwords and she had a fine litter. She was bred to my Cali buck and I am looking forward to see how the colors turn out.
I have included pics of her and her litter.

Attachments

• IMG_1124A.JPG
    IMG_1124A.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1176A.JPG
    IMG_1176A.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1177A.JPG
    IMG_1177A.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 531
Very nice! That's great she did so well this time! I have a Holland doe that had 7 stillborn kits about a month ago and I rebred her right away also. She'll be 28 days on Monday. Hoping for luck as good as yours! :)

I feel strongly that the dutch markings would be visible at birth. I would say positive, but since I have no VM rabbits, I will leave that to someone who does. :)

It looks like the kit on the far left in the top pic has one white hind foot, and looks to be the same agouti color as mom. The light grey look like they may be opals! I see what look to be a couple blacks, and maybe an otter or darker agouti?

What a neat litter! Congratulations on the live kits this time, and extra bonus points for all the colors!!!

I can't wait to see more pics as they mature- keep us posted. :camera:

Thanks guys. I will post more pics in about a week. There are a few that have what appears to be a lighter band around its collar. Will have to wait and see. :)

Dutch markings are there at birth. They are different and separate from anything VM. We have a litter here that is half Dutch and half Champagne and they all have very little in the way of Dutch markings. Some only have a tiny snip of white on their noses and/or toes!

Thanks Guys
They are doing fine. The doe is feeding them well but they do not have big bellies in the morning. I hope she can keep up with enough milk for all 7. I don't have another doe that I can move any over to. I am just use to seeing kits with tight full bellies in the morning. She sure is calm.
I really can't tell much difference in color since I took the pics, but it has only been 3 days. They are starting to pop like popcorn when the nest is disturbed. I will wait until there eyes open to take more pics.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am __________<br /><br />New Pics. The kits are 11 days old. 3 of them have white on there feet. What colors do you all think they are now?
I also included a pic of my Rex doe and her 3 kits, they are 6 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_1189A.JPG
    IMG_1189A.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1187A.JPG
    IMG_1187A.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1186A.JPG
    IMG_1186A.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1182A.JPG
    IMG_1182A.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 368
My vote: two Opals, two Castors (may be called chestnuts?), and three might be Steel, but I have that color in my Rex and genetically I think it is a messed up castor (no eye rings, ear lacing, belly color).

The Rex has a broken Opal, broken black, and the last solid one I am not familiar with. Could be a Sable?

http://natalieshobe.tripod.com/id21.html

Thanks MamaSheepdog. I will be getting more purebred stock soon but it is fun to see all the colors you get from meat mutts. :)

Latest posts

Back