New Moms

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
So, I have my very first 1st time mom. She's not due for a while, end of Feb, but I was curious if there's anything I can do to/with her to increase the chance of a positive outcome? For example, would putting some fur in the nestbox she ends up using help her realize that she should put some in there, or, what about watching another mom use/makeup her nest, etc.?

Generally speaking the rabbit will know what to do. I mark the calendar for 31 days after I put a doe in with a buck. On the 29th day in goes the nestbox and some bedding material (I used shredded newspaper and hay). The outcome of first time does can vary a lot. I rarely have had one that delivered all live kits. My most recent 1st time doe had 2 dead, 1 alive (Lionhead). I've only breed small breeds so don't know if the success ratio is better for medium to large breeds.

We don't usually do anything different for our first time Moms.
Just watch them during the pregnancy to make sure they stay healthy, and keep eating food/water. Also keep them in as low-stress situation as possible.

I haven't found anything yet that really increases their odds of being good moms....either they will be, or they won't, and there is not much I can do to change it either way.
(Except maybe breeding for good temperament, and good hips/hindquarters in my brood does).

It wouldn't hurt to put a little extra fur in her nest box, but it probably won't change her mind.
When it is cold out, we usually try to use a heat lamp or heating pad for our first time moms that we do not trust yet. (But use them CAREFULLY!)

Don't worry to much. The vast majority of our first time Moms do fine. God has instilled amazingly strong instincts in them, and they always seem to know what to do:)
No one has to teach them.

What breed is your doe?

I do remember being really worried with my first junior doe too. Don't worry!
Just watch close and be ready to help anyway you can.

Perhaps it's mostly because of the breeds I keep, but I haven't had any first time mom issues. I've seen 9-12 live kits from beginner moms go into beautifully constructed nests over and over again. I don't even question if it's a first litter or not anymore.

I think just taking care of their basic needs is most important. Make sure they have good nesting material and the right sized nest box, that they aren't threatened by you, that they have space to get away from their nest and kits, and good nutrition...etc etc

I'm hoping she'll do ok. She's from the first litter I bred, and her mom is a GREAT mom and milk producer. She also has a great temperament, so I'm really hoping that'll make a difference, too.

Most does don't have any problems.

I would just watch her carefully for any signs of nesting behavior (digging, gathering, fur pulling) and make sure she is not setting up housekeeping out of the nest. If she is, move the box to that location.

I did have one doe that would switch locations when the nest was moved to her chosen spot so I put two nests in the cage, effectively covering most of the floor so she had no choice but to use one. If that isn't an option you can line the floor and the first few inches of the cage walls with cardboard and just load the cage with bedding. After the kits are born you can move them to a box and she should accept that.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back