Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nasir

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Nasir and am a semi retired pediatric surgeon. Recently I acquired 2 newzealand white for my granddaughter (at least this is what I told my family - and their response- yeh sure). So being an absolute newbie joined this forum to test this forum's patience- I might ask a lot of dumb questions. Nice talking to you all and you will be hearing (a lot) from me soon

Welcome.

Note : grandparenting wise, putting pet bunnies in the pot will cause big problems with the grandchildren. Be sure they know and accept the difference between your breeding rabbits they can love, give names and expect to be there each visit and the ones for the pot.

So, you're planning to breed for meat? Would your granddaughter be involved with that (definitly would be a great project if she's into that).

Getting rabbits with one colour, that will only produce one colour, is a great move, when all the kits look alike it's way less likely to get attached to one of them.

Ped surg grand dad! Awesome! NP here! May I ask did you decide to get into rabbits or healthy, clean environmentally responsible meat? As I side note, I am "getting into it" again recently in part to teach my 5 year old.. my Dad kept nz rabbit when I was a kid. So right away I can tell you be careful to cull all mean rabbits. I purposely got away from NZ, I still have scars on my arms from fetching rabbits for Dad. Nothing wrong with them, just bad associations for me. Great, productive meat rabbits but some of them are nasty. But I also think in any breed you get occasional nasty ones. I also highly highly recommend handling every kit daily from birth until freezer. Does not take a lot of time but saves a lot of angst. Just pick them up, pet them, hi bunny, in and out of cage quick. Do regular health checks even though they tend to be in robust health just so they are used to being touched all over, carried around, etc. Trust me, the last thing you want is an angry frightened rabbit on dispatch day. Speaking of dispatch, I highly recommend a penetrating bolt gun. They can go to the freezer smiling. Literally happy life and one bad second they did not see coming and never know what hit them as they chew on some yummy oats or other loved treat, its just another day and lights out.

Latest posts

Back