New Member; Black Hills, SD, USA

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Rabbiteers!

I've been reading around on the forum and have already learned a lot of helpful and fascinating info. Thanks! I have spoken for a trio from a local breeder. Rex-cross. I was hoping for Cali or NZ or maybe Silver Fox, but I've been looking for rabbits for several years now; I'm done being picky and just want to get started. I'll still keep my eyes open, but it's time to pull the trigger.

I already have (too many) chickens, turkeys, ducks & geese. Will be paring the numbers back as soon as it's warm enough not to freeze my fingers off butchering. It was fun, but too many is not a good thing. (Not to mention expensive.) Plus, I kind of get tired of poultry after a while. I also plan to add a couple of ewe lambs as soon as this year's crop of babies are weaned.
We have lots of grass; somebody should be eating it.

I'm particularly interested in feeding the buns from the (small) homestead but realistically speaking, they're going to be supplemented with pellets, assuming pellets remain available, especially in winter (which is long... and cold...)

I think that I will put them in the greenhouse. It's unheated but not bad in the winter, and out of the wind, mostly. It's balmy but not uncomfortable in summer. I open the big roll-up door and both roll-up sides and it's more like being in a semi-shaded pavilion than what one commonly thinks of as greenhouse temperatures. I just need it because we can get a hard frost in the middle of July and I love tomatoes and peppers and a few other of the more delicate crops. Plus I'll have all that lovely fertilizer right where I need it.

Before I get to tldr territory (too late?) let me just say that I'm excited about having found this forum. There are so many things to learn and much of the info I've been wondering about seems to be available right here amongst you knowledgable folk.

Thanks!
Cindy

Back