New lionheads

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
My DD wanted to show lionheads for 4H (her first year) so I have been looking and looking for a lionhead kit for her. I found someone on craigslist that was selling 4 kits, mom, and hutch for $100. Well I didnt want all 5 rabbits so i asked him if we could just buy 1, he said he would sell us 1 for $15 or 2 for $25. We went yesterday to look at them, mom is black DM, the babies were 1 black 2 blue and 1 tort. DD fell in love with the little tort doe, I on the other hand loved the little blue doe. So the only solution was.... to buy both does :lol: They are very nice looking kits, the guy said his DD got them from one of the top lionhead breeders in Ohio. The only problem; he knows nothing about them, doesnt know when they were born, and he doesnt think his DD has a pedigree for them, he is going to ask his daughter for me and email what info he can. Another concern I had was the buck died a week ago, and they dont know why. I have a guess but will be watching the kits for a while. The rabbits were kept inside the guys Auto body shop, while I was there they had a car about 2 feet from the hutch that was being sanded and primered! The smell was giving me a headache so i can just imagine how bad it was on the rabbits!

Anyways here they are! DD named them Butterscotch(tort) and Tinker Belle(blue)

Attachments

• 100_6481.JPG
    100_6481.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_6486.JPG
    100_6486.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 243
Aww, too cute!!! :D

And holy heck. With how sensitive their little respiratory systems are, that had to be hard on them!!! I wouldn't bet against that as the buck's cause of death. :( Glad you got those wee ones outta there!!! :)

Just a guess, but I think they're between 5 and 6wks old. After 6wks, they start to get definition in their saddle area, and those guys are still just balls of fuzz.

They're really cute, though. I love the tort's rich colour.

Adorable!! Im sure they will have a much better life with you guys!! good luck with the 4H and showing them!! :)

I was guessing 5-6 weeks old also. They really are sweet, the daughter used to get them out and play with them in the office everyday so they dont mind being touched.

We have 3 lionheads right now. a Torti female born in Oct and a Black double doe and blue double male born in Dec. the two youngsters are so furry you can't see their little eyes.
Be ready to brush everyday, sometimes twice to save having matts or tangles. If you want to show you have to keep their cages very clean and make sure all surfaces are smooth so the coats don't get damaged.
They are sweethearts though. :bunnyhop:

isdapous":3eomt3ty said:
We have 3 lionheads right now. a Torti female born in Oct and a Black double doe and blue double male born in Dec. the two youngsters are so furry you can't see their little eyes.
Be ready to brush everyday, sometimes twice to save having matts or tangles. If you want to show you have to keep their cages very clean and make sure all surfaces are smooth so the coats don't get damaged.
They are sweethearts though. :bunnyhop:

huh perhaps certian lines are different in that way... because i have a few lionheads now and had several before and did very little brushing. only a couple little mats now and then.

These are our first Lionheads. Purchased as show stock with nice pedigrees. That said, I know little to very little about them other than the breeder said to be sure to brush them daily, especially since they are young and will blow coat (not sure of his wording on that, dogs blow coat) while the adult coat comes in. I haven't found any matts, but have found tangles and little bits of hay and such stuck in their coats, so we pop 'em on the grooming table and brush them out daily. Also helps to bond with them. They get yummies while we brush and talk to them.

Our black one is rather skittish and thumps at us all the time and resists being picked up, but is fine once we are holding her. The older doe kicks like a mule every once in a while, but likes to be stroked when not being held. The little buck is a fuzzball that really likes being held and cuddled. He also enjoys being brushed and nibbling some oats while we brush.

If you have any useful tips let me know. I do know these guys all prefer using a litter box with corn cob litter. Makes keeping their cages clean very easy.

Just found out they was born Feb 1st so only 5 weeks old! They are doing fine though now I am glad I bought 2 instead of just 1. Now I just need to get a buck :mrgreen:

OGG; I also love the blue!! She is more fluffier that the tort :lol:

isdapous; I have never had problems with any of my other lions matting, except for the babies sometimes get a little messy around the vent area when they are still young. Other than that they never really matted. These girls here are from show stock, they (person I got them from)just paid less for the parents without a pedigree, so unfortunaly my babies dont have a ped.

I've got a really nice sable point buck coming up, if you wanna come get him, Jessica ;)

As far as ped goes, get the parent's information and start your own!

I brush mine about once a week, with checks around vital areas every day(bum, eyes, mouth).

They are so much fun to grow out, though, watching them change from these little balls of fuzz, to hopefully adorable things with well placed coats, and beautifully defined saddles. I personally prefer manes where you can still see the eyes, but the trends right now are for a lot of transition wool on the face.

I got the name and color of the parents, so I can at least start a ped on them. I didnt get to see dad, who was a tort, but mom is black and had a really nice mane for having had 4 babies. She of course had pulled some of the saddle but her mane around the face was really nice. Now I just need to figure out what colors they are carrying. I am horrible at genetics! :oops:

Dont tempt me Bad Habit :lol: one of my first lionheads was a sable point VM, he was so cute!

Back