new here

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bricwal21

Reaction score
I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and i am working on getting a small set up ready for the spring. looking for ideas for a encloser that's about 4ft wide by 10ft long and will sit on the ground. i do plan on building a larger encloser later in the yr for winter use. and i already have plans for that one.

so any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and i am working on getting a small set up ready for the spring. looking for ideas for a encloser that's about 4ft wide by 10ft long and will sit on the ground. i do plan on building a larger encloser later in the yr for winter use. and i already have plans for that one.

Call my cuz.... lol.... He's over towards Tawas City.I don't know how he keeps his rabbits.

OK. 4'x10'.
Are you building an enclosure to put your cages in? Then you could easily put in a run with chain link fence or other wire with 4x4's , or t-posts, top rail, bottom edging.... but you said "sit on the ground" I guess you might want to build a movable pen or a tractor enclosure. But again, the rabbits need dry, wind free houses off the ground or enclosed tubs built into the ground to stay warm and dry.
First, If my "tractor type enclosure" sat on the ground and wasn't going to be moved; I would be building ramps and houses to get my rabbits off the cold, damp, wet ground. If your enclosure is on the ground, is there a bottom? If there is a bottom, is it easy to clean? Are you burying wire deeply so the rabbits cannot dig out? I'm not sure where you want to go with this. I've seen fenced in areas with a heated cat house. Or ramps that run up to houses.

Hopely others will have some ideas. Best of luck!

We too are in the north woods. My first enclosure was a 4'x10' repurposed chicken tractor donated to us. It already had an insulated 4' house at one end. I added permanent den boxes inside, which they nest in. The rest was screened. I add windows for winter. pellets and water are in that end. they have free access to their yard and other foods are fed in the yard. Our soil is Sandy and sloped so stays fairly dry. A little PDZ (horse stall refresher) over soil under hay helps neutralize urine. We did screen floor. used 1/2" x 1". After trying lots of options, I now use a 3 gallon metal poultry waterer so I can put heater under for winter. On downhill end so any spill drains away. Started with trio in there. Now that they have free access to yard with other hang out and hiding spots, it easily accommodates 2 more does. We did make a bump out with additional den boxes. They like to hang out on roof too. New shelters we built for new family groups we raised up. Used solid floor with hay. Kept concept of one end more closed in and private with den boxes one end screened with windows over that can be opened . Ramp to yard. They like hanging out underneath and I keep piles of hay under there. The windows and doors that open for care are easier for me than roofs that need to be lifted. Add multiple layers and shelves to expand a small footprint. The one on ground seems warmer. Maybe it's the snowdrifts and less wind. I like the group housing, especially in cold climates. Shared body heat helps warm their shelter, they can cuddle, groom, have a social life. Made me smile yesterday to see Ash(buck), Cinder, Nuit, and Aria lounging together under their shelter. Several 1 month old kits crawling all over them. Nuit looks at me and gives a big pink relaxed yawn. I love my Silver Fox. They too come in lots of colors. I have black, blue, chocolate, and lilac. Welcome to the adventure. And yay to you for not thinking of those 2' cages that some push!

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I'm going with giant chinchillas and maybe a couple new Zealand whites. Not sure on the whites yet though. Was wondering could you send a picture of your pen. Just so I can get an idea of like how big your setup is? I might do something similar with the extra add ons

Welcome to the forum! I'm in Grand Rapids, it's nice to see a fellow Michigander! I only have one rabbit thus far who lives inside with me, but I plan on expanding as well at some point. :)

The one thing I've learned here from the forums is that there is no singular PERFECT set up schema. Everyone just does their best with what they have and where they live.

One option I've been looking into are the products made by Omlet. They make the Zippi Rabbit Run, which is a wire run with a short height (the tallest is only 3.5 feet) that's fully enclosed with a wire roof to protect from aerial predators and an underfloor mesh to prevent rabbits from burrowing out. They also have the Outdoor Rabbit Run, which can either be short (3 ft 9 in) OR tall (6 ft 8 in). Both come in a wide variety of sizes and customizable configurations and are easy to assemble. Omlet also makes a rabbit tractor called the Eglu Go Rabbit Hutch that's quite nice. And all of their products can be linked together with tunnels to simulate a rabbit warren, using their Zippi Rabbit Tunnel System. All of the above can be bought in a small size and then extended at a later date, and Omlet makes adjustable weather proofing covers that fit on all of their cage products. For their Eglu Hutch, they have special insulating covers to help with the colder months. And for their rabbit runs, they have platforms and ramps designed to give rabbits a small amount of vertical space to explore.

It's all super cool! And I may one day get some of those things! But for now...my greatest ally has been Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I've found a good used shed I might get for $700, as well as rabbit cages and a small playpen I might try to customize...though I'm not the most handy person. My love of rabbits is turning me into a renaissance man! 😂

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I'm going with giant chinchillas and maybe a couple new Zealand whites. Not sure on the whites yet though. Was wondering could you send a picture of your pen. Just so I can get an idea of like how big your setup is? I might do something similar with the extra add ons
I think this was meant to be directed at @Mckatie , so I'm tagging them just in case!

Welcome to the forum! I'm in Grand Rapids, it's nice to see a fellow Michigander! I only have one rabbit thus far who lives inside with me, but I plan on expanding as well at some point. :)

The one thing I've learned here from the forums is that there is no singular PERFECT set up schema. Everyone just does their best with what they have and where they live.

One option I've been looking into are the products made by Omlet. They make the Zippi Rabbit Run, which is a wire run with a short height (the tallest is only 3.5 feet) that's fully enclosed with a wire roof to protect from aerial predators and an underfloor mesh to prevent rabbits from burrowing out. They also have the Outdoor Rabbit Run, which can either be short (3 ft 9 in) OR tall (6 ft 8 in). Both come in a wide variety of sizes and customizable configurations and are easy to assemble. Omlet also makes a rabbit tractor called the Eglu Go Rabbit Hutch that's quite nice. And all of their products can be linked together with tunnels to simulate a rabbit warren, using their Zippi Rabbit Tunnel System. All of the above can be bought in a small size and then extended at a later date, and Omlet makes adjustable weather proofing covers that fit on all of their cage products. For their Eglu Hutch, they have special insulating covers to help with the colder months. And for their rabbit runs, they have platforms and ramps designed to give rabbits a small amount of vertical space to explore.

It's all super cool! And I may one day get some of those things! But for now...my greatest ally has been Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I've found a good used shed I might get for $700, as well as rabbit cages and a small playpen I might try to customize...though I'm not the most handy person. My love of rabbits is turning me into a renaissance man! 😂

I think this was meant to be directed at @Mckatie , so I'm tagging them just in case!
Thank you for sharing all of those great links! So many ideas!!! Bobby at the rabbitry uses pvc pipe for his connections into the nesting tubs. He's in Michigan. (Where my mum's side is from - except on the Bay side). I'm still trying to decide how much space I am going to allot for the new rabbitry section. I'm going to make the old section - 20L'x10'W into the bunny play area, where rabbits can run around and climb platforms, run in tunnels, dig in the dirt,visit the clover/flower gardens. My family and friends can sit on a bench or watch from the adjoining semi-enclosed back patio. I worked on the patio last year, enclosing the front, adding a gate, painted the cement floor, put in a handmade bar with stools so it's a fun place to hang out. I need to add lighting, and place a retainer wall/gate between the rabbit area and the porch. I'm more of a diy gal because 1) It's more affordable 2)I enjoy the projects 3) it allows me to take more time off. I need cage space for 20 rabbits. A few grow outs. Something like that. I currently have 14 rabbits. I'm leaning towards a building/shelter with solar heat coming from the north side. I have 4 cages that are 30"W x 48"L . I think almost all the others are 36 L or 42"L. I am thinking of stacking the few smaller ones at the far end. I haven't started drafting everything out yet. I could add connections on the smaller cages. that would be fun. They are all a couple feet high. Thank you again for sharing!!!

Those are good breeds. I do huchs or hanging cages. I raise Silver Foxs so the cages have to be big. Are you interested in meat, fur, pet, or show?

Welcome! We raise giant chinchillas and we use large wire dog kennels. Wrap the bottom and up the sides about 3-4 inches with wire mesh. We then put plastic tubs in for them to get on top of and in to block the wind and rain.

The kennels sit on stands so they are about waist high and easy to access for cleaning, feeding and checking kits.

Latest posts

Back